Cultivation Market Fellow
- Alterna Impact
- Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ALTERNA\’S FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The bridge between your aspirations and their realization.
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up. We envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context, and have worked with over 1,000 entrepreneurs to date to help strengthen and scale the region’s most disruptive and high-impact businesses.
Our talent is the key to achieving our mission. The Alterna Fellowship is a multi-dimensional program that will give you a renowned edge in your career trajectory and a seat at the frontline of social innovation. Through a comprehensive, hands-on experience with an organization that is pioneering the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector, Alterna fellows gain the critical skills, contextual insights and connection to a global network to advance their careers and catalyze impact.
Alterna is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the Cultivation team and support Alterna’s high growth trajectory as it leads the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Central America and beyond.
This Fellow will be an integral part of the team responsible for designing and executing the “cultivation” process, providing hands-on advisory and mentorship to local entrepreneurs who lack access to high-quality business services. Utilizing a methodology built from seven years of launching our own social businesses and working directly with entrepreneurs in the community, Alterna Fellows to date have successfully helped advise over 1,000 entrepreneurs to help them to strengthen and scale their social businesses.
This Fellow will be a part of the cohort joining Alterna on August 6, 2018, with a minimum 8-month commitment.
WHAT IS “CULTIVATION”?
Alterna is a pioneer in the area of “cultivation,” a program that provides social entrepreneurs with an array of highest-quality resources to help them achieve traction and growth, with respect to both financial performance and disruptive social impact.
In our experience collaborating with more than a thousand entrepreneurs and SMEs, we have seen that early stage companies with great transformative potential often lack access to financial tools tailored to their needs. At Alterna, we see this need as an opportunity to complement the impact investment category. Together with the Multilateral Investment Fund (FOMIN) of the International Development Bank (IDB), we launched La Ruta Alterna, a series of Cultivation services designed for social enterprises at various stages and levels, with the opportunity to access capital for those who advance in the pipeline. In this spirit, we seek to stimulate the impact investing culture in the small but growing business segment, called \”the missing middle\”.
The Cultivation Market Fellow will support the entire Cultivation process in La Ruta Alterna, focusing on market-related subjects. Key focus areas include:
A. Assist in the design & development of market materials for Cultivation programs
– Work with the Commercial Manager to develop and refine materials (tools, presentations, support guides, activities, etc.) for workshops, as needed
– Assist in the comprehensive revision of market-related pre-work (deliverables from the entrepreneurs prior to entering into a program) to prepare the team with the market context and insights to deliver highly effective mentorship
B. Support and participate in Cultivation program workshops
– Support the permanent team in the preparation and execution of programs (bi-monthly workshops of 1-5 days)
– Participate actively in workshops, providing 1:1 mentorship and support to entrepreneurs
C. Industry research, documentation, and knowledge management
– Assist the Cultivation team in deepening and documenting industry expertise in the markets and contexts in which our entrepreneurs operate. This includes:
– Conduct extensive market research by industry on topics such as: market trends and growth projections; distribution strategies; competitive and key stakeholder landscape; case studies of commercial success; etc.
– Execute dynamic and hands-on research, utilizing methods such as: primary interviews with key actors; observation on site visits and field work; collection of data and information on Alterna entrepreneurs; secondary research on relevant reports, publications, data, etc.
– Synthesize, document, and share key learnings and insights by sector in a comprehensive and well-organized Knowledge Management system
D. Provide support in other Cultivation activities and objectives, such as:
– Ongoing systematization of processes and materials
– Continuously researching innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of impact investing and social entrepreneurship
– Participation in a variety of sector events, such as FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2018 that brings together over 500 international and regional actors in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
Please note that the Fellow will work closely with the Cultivation Commercial Manager and supporting team members to execute and receive feedback and support on defined activities.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Key areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
– Professional experience (ideally 2-5 years) in related career such as Consulting, Marketing, Market Research, Sales, Consumer Goods, Distribution/Logistics, and more
– Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, International Business or Management, Economics, International Relations or relevant area of study; Master’s a plus
– Demonstrated analytical, business judgment and problem-solving skills
– Spanish business proficiency, with excellent written and verbal communication
– Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
– Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector is highly desired
Key personal skills and abilities include:
– Demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-drive with strong skills in team collaboration
– Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges with minimal resources
– Humility, empathy and cultural sensitivity
– A sense of humor and contagious energy
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
– Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
– Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
– Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
– Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
– Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of Alterna
– Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you like to have fun while you work we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellow Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/
Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section on our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/
Have a question that you couldn\’t find there? Email a member of our team at email@example.com.