- Fenix International
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Company: Fenix International Inc.
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Application Deadline: Rolling
Compensation: Competitive salary, equity & benefits
Founded in 2009, Fenix International is a venture-backed, for-profit renewable energy company with offices in Silicon Valley and East Africa. Fenix operates on the front line of renewable energy and mobile financial services in emerging markets, and our mission is to deliver life-changing technology to the 1.3 billion people who live without power.
Our flagship product is the ReadyPay Solar Power System – one of the world’s most affordable and accessible sources of power to those living off-grid. Providing phone charging, lights, radios, and even TVs, ReadyPay is available from just $0.40 per-day and financed over 18-months via Mobile Money platforms. We pride ourselves on generating financing plans that are flexible, inclusive and affordable to ensure the greatest reach and impact.
ReadyPay was launched in Uganda in early 2014 and the business has grown exceptionally during the past year, exceeding all targets and growth ambitions. We are now poised to scale and revolutionize access to electricity and financial services.
Fenix International is seeking a talented, motivated Data Scientist to join our team as we work to bring affordable solar power to emerging markets in East Africa. Key responsibilities will include helping us understand our large, unique, and diverse dataset of customer and business information, creating predictive models to improve operations and better serve our customers, and driving improvements in data gathering, analytics, and presentation at Fenix.
In this position, you will work with an elite team of engineers and business professionals in a fast-moving, venture-funded Silicon Valley startup making an important social and environmental impact. Candidates must enjoy working in a startup environment and have a passion for renewable energy and sustainable development in Frontier Markets.
As a Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to work in Kampala, Uganda, working on critical projects with immediate impact for Fenix’s customer base, and San Francisco, working to improve the engineering and operational side of the business.
- Perform statistical analyses on Fenix’s sales, operations, customer service, and customer repayment data to identify key metrics.
- Create predictive models to help Fenix understand and improve customer repayment behavior, salesperson performance, and many other aspects of the business.
- Work with diverse teams to design, conduct, and analyze A/B tests to garner insights around sales, portfolio health, and operations.
- Design processes and practices to ensure Fenix’s management can easily get the data and insights they need to make key strategic decisions.
- Collaborate with the software team on database architecture and data management methodologies.
- Assist business team members with use of our data analytics and visualization software (Tableau).
Required Skills & Experience
- Leadership and project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to a particular project, team, or new company and we especially value candidates who have seen projects through from start to finish, from design to scale-up phase.
- Proficiency in a programming language (esp. Python) and with statistical analysis and/or machine learning technologies in that language.
- Education and work experience in statistical analysis, model creation, and data visualization.
- Experience with survey design, analysis, and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Interactive report design and implementation expertise.
- Proficiency in database usage and management (esp. SQL).
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English).
- Ability and drive to work independently.
- Three years minimum work experience.
- Thrives on teamwork.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in analyzing financial repayment, ideally microfinance.
- Education and/or work experience in the developing world, ideally East Africa.
- Master's degree.
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary, equity and a fun work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.