- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
We’re a fast growing nonprofit that harnesses the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. See this TEDx video for more about what we do.
ABOUT THE ROLE: DATA SCIENTIST
We’re looking for a self-directed individual to lead our team in delivering insights and quantitative expertise to DataKind’s sector-wide initiatives. You will join DataKind’s cornerstone program, DataKind Labs, working directly with our Head of Labs in this highly visible and high impact role, which will be equal parts challenging and rewarding.
You will be instrumental in driving social sector change, employing advanced data science techniques and excellent communication skills. You will help shape our portfolio of flagship projects, manifesting your creativity in architecting best-of-breed solutions, relying on a strong ability to translate our partner organizations’ challenges and context into statistical problems, and devising clever ways to use our army of volunteer data scientists to spur solutions.
Your next project on the docket? Improving the financial state of impoverished New Yorkers.
WHO YOU ARE…
• A mid-career data scientist – You have a successful track record leading and executing a broad range of data science projects spanning the entire project lifecycle, from early conceptualization through to solution delivery. You regularly present and vet your methodology with fellow experts via written and oral presentations.
• A self-directed leader – You’re anxious to take the reins on high-profile projects. People value your ethical and well-honed opinion and naturally gravitate to you. This recognition propels you forward to solve bigger and more important challenges.
• An ideas person – “Innovation” and “human-centered design” are concepts you’ve practiced from even before they were mainstream. You’ve learned a great deal from hacking and tinkering, guided by curiosity and a drive to identify novel solutions.
• An empathetic data geek – You’re an ETL and learning algorithms expert fluent in Python and R, as well as open source databases like PostgreSQL and Hadoop. These hard skills are augmented with soft skills that enable you to quickly build rapport with your beneficiaries.
• A pattern expert – You write code for reuse and subscribe to Lean Startup principles. You distill complex challenges into basic components and have a knack for recognizing common threads from the wealth of data science problems you’ve already solved, enabling you to identify possible early warnings for when an approach won’t pan out.
HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE ROLE…
What You\’ll Achieve With Us
• You will work to achieve our mission to harness the power of data science in the service of humanity.
• You will support our team, sponsors, funders, and partners who are mission-aligned, to reduce human suffering.
• You will contribute ideas and perspectives to our long term goals, helping us to achieve our goals together.
• You will be part of a workplace that truly values diversity
How You\’ll Grow With Us
• You will hone your expertise in project management and data mining, shaping and expanding your portfolios of projects.
• You will develop key internal and external team relationships, strengthening your adaptable communication skills.
• You will become an early pioneer in introducing analytic techniques common in the for-profit sector to humanitarian challenges.
Tangible and Intangible Perks of Working Here
• You will be welcomed into a team culture that sets high standards, values new ideas and innovative approaches, and supports individual growth.
• You will join an open and flexible work space where colleagues challenge you to learn and grow, are open to collaboration, and expect you bring a sense of humor with your ‘A’ game.
• You will enjoy our awesome new offices in NYC which are located within Civic Hall.
• You will receive a comprehensive and growing benefits package with room for growth.
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind\’s core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skillsets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle wicked problems. We encourage candidates with non-traditional backgrounds to apply and to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience wherever appropriate.
HOW WILL WE KNOW YOU’RE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE ROLE?
Priority will be given to those applications submitted by February 29; therefore we encourage you to submit yours soon!
The overall hiring process will look follow this anticipated timeline:
• End of February/Early March: Initial phone interview with the ReWork team.
• Early March: Phone interview with DataKind team.
• Middle of March: Candidates will be asked to complete a trial project assessing their skills.
• End of March: Finalists will come in-person for half-day, multi-team member interviews in either New York or San Francisco. Candidate references will also be checked at this step.
• End of March/Early April: Offer finalized.
• End of April/May 2nd: Anticipated start date.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE SELECTED?
You’ll be invited to join our growing team in NYC. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your application!
DataKind is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically welcome and accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religious creed, color, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition as defined under State law, disability, genetic information, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and/or local laws and ordinances.