Design Engineering Fellowship
- BURN Manufacturing USA LLC
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s bestselling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emission.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only Jiko company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce which is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is currently seeking a mission driven candidate as a Design Engineering Fellow in our factory in Ruiru, Kenya. Responsibilities include:
• Conceptual and detailed design of clean burning cookstoves and accessories for East Africa
• Research and developing manufacturing processes including designing tools for production
• Fabrication of prototypes, including sheet metal forming, 3d printing and others
• Testing concepts and prototypes in the lab and field
• Mechanical engineering, product development, or industrial design background
• Good command of CAD software, documentation skills
• Practical working experience
• Familiarity with basic tool shop equipment and tools, such as drill press, mill, lathe, etc.
• Mechanical aptitude, understanding of process development
• Experience in tooling, jigs and fixtures design
• Works well in team setting
• Goal oriented
• Preference for experience with CNC, sheet metal, production environments, or process development
Location and Duration:
12-month fellowship in Ruiru, Kenya to begin in Q1 2020 or earlier. Fellows receive a stipend of $1,100 per month and housing in a company house in Nairobi. BURN will provide one round trip flight at the beginning and end of the fellowship.