- Sustainable Health Enterprises (SHE)
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Who We Are: Sustainable Health Enterprises, or SHE, is an innovative, international and growing social venture. Its mission is to invest in people and ideas that are typically overlooked (and often taboo) to drive social and economic change.
SHE has built a groundbreaking model of social change, highlighted by Nicholas Kristof in The New York Times. With seed funding from Echoing Green and Harvard Business School, SHE launched SHE28 in 2009 in Rwanda to address a global problem: girls’ and women’s lack of affordable menstrual products. As a result, SHE developed a patented technology, designed and implemented a manufacturing process, and created a distribution network, coupled with health education, to deliver affordable essential products to the underserved. This has resulted in behaviour change and healthier and wealthier lives for thousands of girls and women. SHE has been featured in The New York Times, NPR, and PBS Newshour.
SHE is seeking a proven writer and project manager with fundraising experience to help double our raised revenue by 2020. We currently have 2 full-time staff in the U.S. and work with a mid-size staff in Rwanda. The Development Associate is an integral member of our Global team and reports to the Director of Strategy. The Development Associate will also directly support the CEO in all fundraising initiatives. The position is full-time and eligible for Sustainable Health Enterprises benefits.
This position requires a personable, energetic individual who is eager to contribute through excellent communication skills and project management skills to oversee the day-to-day development operations within a fast-paced environment. The Development Associate proactively oversees SHE’s development strategy through implementation of SHE’s strategy and goals. The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem-solving ability, flexibility, and responsiveness.
Data Management, Revenue Tracking, and Analysis
● Manage quality control in Salesforce database and in Salesforce integrations with other platforms (e.g. Classy and MailChimp).
● Track all revenue (checks, in-kind, online, stock) in, committed, and lost, using a folder-based system and in reports in Salesforce.
● Create fundraising reports as needed.
● Serve as the first point of contact for donor inquiries and handle regular donor correspondence, including leading donor acknowledgements.
● Coordinate tactics to bring on new donors and grow existing donors, including:
● Track follow-up with potential donors and proactively keeps Director of Strategy and CEO on track in follow-up;
● Track a “moves management” pipeline for all major and lead donors;
● Coordinate follow-up donor cultivation plans with CEO and Director of Strategy.
● Assist CEO and Director of Strategy by preparing written materials as needed for multiple funder audiences including but not limited to, pitch decks, blog posts, press releases, social media assets, and e-mail announcements.
● Write high-quality short, medium and long-form copy for fundraising campaigns.
● Creates and oversees holiday campaign messaging and content including website, emails, donation page, social media, and appeal mailings.
Grant Development and Management
● Assist in grant and report writing by conducting research, managing annual grant cycle, coordinating staff roles and requirements for each proposal, and tracking results.
● Write grant proposals and produce grant reports based on donor requirements including collaborating with the Rwanda staff when it comes to data collection and analysis.
● Track multi-year grants for renewals.
● Use grants management database, track submissions, awards and reporting.
Financial Management Support
Work with bookkeeper to complete monthly financial reconciliation
Maintain electronic and hard copy file systems; including management of fundraising databases and folders
Who are we looking for?
As a member of the SHE Team, you will be sharing a private office with the Director of Strategy, and be part of a larger co-working space and community that offers free food (occasionally), free coffee, and plenty of cubby holes to go into when you need some quiet time. Skype will become your best friend as you work with our Rwandan colleagues.
This position requires a real go-getter willing to roll up your sleeves. You thrill in checking off tasks off the to-do list and helps keep the team on track by staying five steps ahead of deadlines and funding opportunities. You are incredibly responsive to calls, emails and inquiries.
Bachelor’s degree required.
2 or more years’ experience in a high-performing fundraising environment;
Exceptional oral and written communication skills – including the ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals and reports;
Advanced research skills; familiarity with various internet research tools;
Strong analytical skills; familiarity with data tracking and performance management;
Excellent interpersonal skills – including the ability to interact with stakeholders and funders with different backgrounds, levels of seniority, etc;
Strong attention to detail and follow-through;
You have a high degree of proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite and Adobe Suite;
You are comfortable tackling problems head-on and adapting to shifting priorities, working individually and within a team, and managing multiple projects simultaneously;
You have a strong ability to identify and anticipate challenges, analyze situations and provide recommendations;
Strong commitment to SHE’s mission.
Desired, but not required
● You have experience with Google Adwords and Google Analytics and are constantly thinking of ways to measure the ROI of anything you do.
● You have experience with website technology (WordPress experience is a plus), design tools (Canva or Adobe PageMaker), social tools (Hootsuite), and email marketing tools and resources (Mailchimp).
How to Apply
For consideration, applicants must include:
a cover letter
a writing sample that you believe is the best thing you’ve ever written. It must be non-fiction and between no longer than 3 pages.
To apply, please email email@example.com and include your resume, cover letter, and writing sample as attachments. Your references should be in the body of the email. The subject line should read: “Application: Development Associate.”
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by the SHE team. Unfortunately, SHE may not have the capacity to answer candidates’ questions until they are short-listed and contacted.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
Salary: $45,000 – $55,000 depending on experience