Development Communications Associate
- KickStart International, Inc.
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
KickStart International is seeking an enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Donor Communications Associate to be part of our Individual Giving team.
About the Organization:
KickStart-International www.kickstart.org is an award-winning, nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to lift millions of people in Africa out of poverty. They do this by designing and mass-marketing human-powered irrigation pumps. These low-cost pumps are bought by poor local farmers who use them to water their crops year-round rather than waiting for the unreliable rain that only comes for a few months out of the year. They grow and sell high value crops throughout the year—especially in the long dry “hungry” seasons when the prices are highest—and on average increase their net annual incomes by over $700. For the first time they can properly feed and educate their children, afford healthcare and plan for their futures. To date, more than 200,000 farming families have used MoneyMaker pumps to climb out of poverty.
KickStart and its Co-Founders are Skoll Social Entrepreneur Awardees, Schwab Foundation awardees and were included on Forbes Magazine’s “Impact 30 List” among the world’s leading social entrepreneurs in 2011. Additionally, the U.S. Department of State presented KickStart with the first-ever Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women and Girls in 2012.
About the Position:
KickStart is seeking a Donor Communications Associate based in New York City. This position will work in close collaboration with the Director of Key Relationships and the rest of the Development Team to raise KickStart’s brand profile and to secure gifts from individual donors by helping to implement our overall donor communications strategy, appeal mailings and stewardship communications. Additionally, the position will work with the Development Team to define and achieve KickStart’s individual giving and communications goals.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design & Communications
o Design visuals and write copy for a wide range of communication material to attract, solicit, and steward donors, including gift acknowledgments, appeal letters, email campaigns, greeting cards, and reports
o Write, manage, and edit website and newsletter content and design accompanying visuals
o Collaborate with colleagues across departments to capture impact stories and convey them through written and visual content including photos, videos, appeals, website, and reports
o Maintain KickStart’s social media platforms and support the CEO in building a more robust online presence
o Ensure branding guidelines are upheld across the organization
o Assist in researching individual and foundation prospects to determine potential alignment and interest in KickStart
o Mine current individual donor base to identify prospects for major gifts, upgrades, recurring giving, and leadership groups
o Help steward annual fund and mid-level donors, as well as the Young Professionals Board
o Lead the execution of online crowdfunding campaigns
o Assist in coordinating donor cultivation meetings and special events
o Maintain annual individual giving calendar, including cultivation and stewardship activities, appeals and campaigns, and special events
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Bachelor\’s degree
• 1-3 years of fundraising and/or communications experience. Experience with individual giving preferred
• Experience with a global non-profit organization. Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa or elsewhere in the developing world, a plus
• Experience with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn required
• Basic Photoshop and InDesign proficiency required
• Experience with fundraising tools/systems including eTapestry, Wealth Engine, and Foundation Directory Online a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Passionate about international development and KickStart’s mission (Demonstrated interest in social entrepreneurship and/or agriculture preferred)
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required (e.g. experienced in preparing and conducting donor meetings, research briefs, presentations, and personal correspondence)
• Highly creative and detail oriented
• Confident and fearless telephone skills required
• Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
• Exceptional organization skills required
• Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines
• Self-starter, entrepreneurial, and highly motivated
• Results oriented with demonstrable accomplishments
• Language proficiency in French, Portuguese, Swahili, or Chichewa a plus
Position may require occasional travel and working on weekends, early in the morning or late in the evening for donor cultivation events and meetings and/or to collaborate with colleagues in Africa and the United States.
Please note: No relocation offered for this position.
How to Apply
To apply, kindly email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Donor Communications Associate– NY” in the subject line of your e-mail application. Position will remain open until filled.