Development & Communications Manager
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please send a cover letter, CV, brief writing sample, and three references to be considered for this position.
- Where to Apply
- Send requested materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name, First Name - Development & Communications Manager”.
Sanku is seeking a Development & Communications Manager (DCM) to grow Sanku’s annual budget from $3M to $10M in the next 3 years, raising $25M by 2025. Reporting directly and working closely with the Founder/CEO, as well as the Programs team in East Africa, this role will be a critical addition to our dynamic and growing team, and is ideally suited to professionals who want to rapidly gain development experience while playing a lead role within a cutting-edge social enterprise. The DCM is a strong writer
and communicator. She/He/They will support fundraising efforts and, alongside the CEO, manage partnerships with current and prospective funders in a fast-paced global organization. Individuals who are passionate about our vision of a world without micronutrient malnutrition are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directly advance Sanku’s fundraising:
-Maintain fundraising dashboard, proposal and reporting calendar, donor database, and pipeline of opportunities;
-Conduct research on funding activities and priorities of prospective funders (prospect research);
-Own the donor acknowledgement process;
-Schedule donor meetings, manage the CEO’s calendar and deploy his time for fundraising;
-Manage a portfolio of funders.
• Grant writing & management:
-Write compelling and competitive grant proposals for private and family foundations, government aid agencies, and corporations;
-Coordinate with Finance team to process grant payments and abide by funders’ financial reporting procedures;
-Coordinate with Programs teams to ensure timely execution of grant deliverables and requirements, gather accurate and relevant data/information from the field;
-Produce timely and informative progress reports for funders, elevating key achievements of Sanku programs and activities relative to funder priorities.
• Create and disseminate compelling communications:
-Draft key external communications (meeting requests, correspondence with prospects and funders, quarterly reports, social media, website and email news blasts)
-Create and update reports for internal stakeholders, including the Sanku Board of Directors, as needed.
The ideal candidate is a strong and experienced writer, proactive problem-solver, energetic team-player, and quick learner who thrives at synthesizing information and drafting clear, compelling narratives; is adept at managing multiple projects, and; is resourceful and collaborative. Exposure to development work, particularly partnerships with large donors, is highly desired.
The DCM must have these key traits/skills:
• Superb writing skills with the ability to develop compelling narratives that clearly communicate complex ideas
• Experience in international development or sub-Saharan Africa, preferably related to health & nutrition
• Excellent project management skills
• Close attention to detail
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Bachelor’s degree required (communications or related degree a plus)
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience
• Proven ability to effectively interpret and synthesize complex information from a variety of stakeholders, to develop compelling narratives
• Experience producing different forms of written communications for external stakeholders
• Experience managing internal or external stakeholder relationships
• Proactive orientation to problem-solving and high standards of performance
• Team-oriented, professional, resourceful, flexible, and highly responsible
• Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite (experience in Netsuite a plus)
• Personable, engaging presence, with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range for the DCM is $60-$70k, commensurate with experience. Sanku offers a competitive employee benefits package.