- Semilla Nueva
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Summary of the organization
Malnutrition affects over a billion people worldwide, and Guatemala has the third highest rate in the world with nearly half of children suffering stunted growth. Semilla Nueva works with scientists, farmers, and the Guatemalan government to promote biofortified crops. Biofortified corn, beans and others have been bred to have higher yields, better taste, and far more nutrients. These new crops allow farmers and families to continue growing and eating what they traditionally have, while dramatically improving the nutrition of their children, and the entire food system. Semilla Nueva’s goal is to reach more than a million people with these new crops in the next five years.
Semilla Nueva works directly with farmers to test, improve and disseminate these new seeds. We achieve scaling through collaborations with farmer groups, NGOs, the government and through direct sales of commercial seeds based on innovative social marketing campaigns. We have also constructed a national collaboration to promote biofortified seeds, which has helped nearly 20 organizations throughout the country reach 5,000 families in its first year. Our newest seed, launched in 2016, has already changed the daily diets of 27,000 people, and we hope to reach 60,000 in 2017. This year marked our first year of commercial seed sales, which we hope in five yearswill provide over half of our revenue, allowing Semilla Nueva to become more financially sustainable.
Our work has led to rapid growth and international recognition including some of the leading awards in social entrepreneurship.
Summary of the position
As our work and organization have grown, the opportunities for developing partnerships and funders have as well. We are hiring a director of development to lead the development of our messaging and donor relationships, in an effort to continue growing the organization.
The director of development will work closely with and report directly to the executive director. The position will be responsible for leading relationship maintenance and development, as well as managing a team of two full-time staff members in the areas of communications, grant writing, grassroots engagement, and our fellowship program.
The position will be based primarily in our main office in Guatemala City, Guatemala but will also include relations with our experimental farm and partner communities. International travel will be required to present Semilla Nueva’s work and build relationships and donors in the US, Europe, Latin America and beyond. .
• Minimum of one year successful management experience
• Minimum of one year of grant writing or fundraising experience with a proven track record of success
• Excellent writing/communications skills, with an ability to communicate complicated ideas simply and concisely
• High attention to detail
• Demonstrated leadership, stress-management and flexibility in the work environment
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team
• Demonstrated interest in rural development and food security, and a passion for social change
• Project management or event planning experience
• Agricultural and rural development experience/knowledge
• Experience in client service, client relationship management or sales
• Fluent/Native English
• Proficient Spanish
• Coordinate with the executive director to manage day to day relationships with the US-based Board of Directors
• Working with the executive director, Board of Directors and the communications team, develop strategies to hone and promote Semilla Nueva’s message to a broad and diverse group of stakeholders
• Oversee the donor database and develop strategies to maintain and develop relationships with Semilla Nueva’s existing donors
• Manage the development team in the identification of grant opportunities, development of relationships with granting organizations, and writing of successful proposals
• Through the communications and outreach team develop grassroots support and fundraising through presentations, engagement, donor trips and other related tactics
• Develop relationships with media outlets in order to expand this message
• Identify opportunities for speaking engagements and networking events; coordinate with the Executive Director to maximize relationship development and public image from these events
• Full-time position based in Guatemala City
• Minimum commitment of one year, preferably two
• Ability to work independently, proactively, and prioritize/coordinate a variety of activities
• Ability to creatively problem-solve in challenging work environments
• Comfortable traveling to and spending time in rural parts of Guatemala with difficult living conditions.
• Comfortable driving manual transmission vehicles in Guatemala, with a valid driver’s license from home country
Salary: Competitive local salary, dependent on experience
Before applying, please review our website, blog, and Annual Report which are found at www.semillanueva.org
To apply please attach your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development” in the subject line.