- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
About the role
The Development Manager will build and execute the systems around Ongoza’s fundraising strategy from beginning to end and provide oversight over Ongoza’s marketing team. You will prospect for new potential donors, build and execute cultivation and stewardship plans, and write proposals to drive Ongoza’s growth. As part of the leadership team, you will play a role in shaping and financing the growth of the organization’s strategy. This role will initially be based in Nairobi, Kenya, but there may be opportunities to take on a more senior donor-facing role over time in Kenya and/or the US as you build out your team. It reports directly to Ongoza’s Executive Director with one direct report.
Your responsibilities will include:
Plan, coordinate and support all fundraising activities (70%)
• Develop a comprehensive and coherent fundraising strategy to drive Ongoza’s growth with input from the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
• Set and achieve realistic time-limited fundraising targets, in consultation with the Executive Director, and report on progress against these targets at regular quarterly meetings.
• Utilize the ED and board members to achieve your goals, e.g. by planning fundraising trips, setting up individual meetings and speaking opportunities for them.
• Ensure fundraising related materials are ready in time, and tell our story, results and ambition in a compelling way to different types of audiences.
• Build out, manage, and execute on Ongoza’s CRM (Pipedrive) to maximize effective engagement with existing supporters
• Take new contacts from “cradle to grave” (initial engagement to repeat giving), planning out adequate and engaging touch points, ensuring a personalized experience.
• Ghost-write and send emails on behalf of the Executive Director and Board of Directors to cultivate new relationships and steward existing supporters.
• Carry out prospect research to develop a comprehensive fundraising database that captures all relevant information, as well as handling all administrative aspects of fundraising.
• Maintain a database of grant opportunities and take the lead in writing grants.
• Lead the writing and execution of all Ongoza public fundraising campaigns.
• Develop, host, and provide back-end logistics management of events in Kenya and the US to attract new supporters and donations.
• Create a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with funding streams including individuals corporate, community, events, trust/foundations and other grant-makers, with appropriate priorities.
Communication and Media (30%)
• In collaboration with the ED, create Ongoza\’s brand essence and communications strategy
• Take overall responsibility for Ongoza’s brand and public presence.
• Support entrepreneur recruitment by positioning our quality advisory services through relevant activities.
• Get Ongoza in the news and the public eye.
• Take overall responsibility for the Ongoza website, social media, annual reports, and all promotional materials.
• Create a quarterly newsletter to share with supporters, partners, and funders.
• Project manage any suppliers, such as graphic designers or web developers, where work can\’t be done in-house
Please note other responsibilities may be required based upon the growth of Ongoza.
Who we are looking for:
• 3-5 years of experience securing funding for non-profits from a variety of different streams, preferably in the field of social innovation and entrepreneurship. (essential) Consideration will be given to similar experience in a business development, public relations, or marketing role.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and write for an international audience, from emails to presentations to grants (essential).
• A strong portfolio of communication and awareness-raising material (essential).
• Strong project management experience.
• Excellent personal contacts and connections with potential major donors and supporters (desirable).
• A relevant qualification in fundraising, sales, or marketing (desirable).
• You believe in our purpose and mission – the power of youth-led social businesses to transform Kenya.
• You have excellent planning, time management and organizational abilities. You are meticulous in your attention to detail and have strong ability to build structure around chaos. Active management of Ongoza’s CRM will be an essential part of your role, and it will require constant attention.
• You are a systems-builder. You are a process-oriented person who loves building and automating systems to optimize efficient work. We have some systems already set up, but you will be asked to build more structures as Ongoza and your team grows.
• You are curious to the end. You are a consummate researcher who enjoys hunting down that one, last, hidden piece of information that will help you find a new prospect, frame a message, or clinch the sale.
• You make things happen. You have a proven track record of meeting targets on time and within budget. You are creative, solutions-oriented, and willing to put in the time it takes to do a great job. You follow through.
• You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You are an independent self-starter who flourishes in a changing environment and can manage yourself. You have excellent collaboration, communication, and problem-solving skills.
Why join Ongoza:
• We are ambitious and purpose-driven. We\’re working towards building the most effective consultancy in Kenya for promising micro- and small-entrepreneurs.
• This is an agile and fast-paced environment. We constantly push for innovation and improvement in what we do and how we do it. If you like taking initiative and believe in continuous improvement, this is your place.
• We are a collaborative team with little hierarchy where everybody\’s ideas count. We have fun in the office, people take charge of organizing their working hours, and we have a beautiful garden and open-plan office.
• Our work is inspiring and rewarding. You will see it in the growth of small businesses more and more every day.
• Fill in the application form under this link: http://bit.ly/JoinOngozaDM
• You will be asked to submit your CV or resume at the end of the form. Make sure it\’s no longer than 2 pages and tailored to this role.
• The screening process will include case studies, interviews and personality tests and give you a chance to understand us and the role better. We will ask for writing samples and references.
• Selection on a rolling basis until filled.
Hiring will be done on a rolling basis.