- Surge for Water
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Where to Apply
The Development Manager position is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to build on successful fundraising efforts. The Development Manager’s primary focus is the management and execution of the Development Plan which includes corporate partnerships, individual giving, grants, and special events. This role will also be responsible for supporting the Marketing Plan. The Development Manager will have regular communication with donors, volunteers, board members, and other constituents and ensure that it is prompt, effective and engaging.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management & Oversight of Development Plan
● In partnership with the Executive Director and Development Team (Board, Staff & Consultants), plan organize and direct Surge’s fundraising activities including corporate partnerships, individual giving, grants, and special events.
● Participate in annual planning sessions with Executive Director and Development Team to help create a clear strategy for fundraising and marketing goals and deliverables for each Development Plan area.
● Work on the annual budgeting process to project and track all revenue
● Measure donor contributions against projections to ensure deliverables are being met, tracking all projections and donations in Salesforce CRM.
● Administer and oversee data uploads at regular intervals to ensure accuracy
● Stay on top of WASH and fundraising trends and educate the rest of the organization.
● Ensure effective systems for: managing fundraising events, enhancing the donor experience, donor relationship management, and other systems and automation as needed.
Individual and Corporate Fundraising
● Work closely with Executive Director and Development Team (Board, Staff & Consultants) to create and execute strategies to secure new donors, add value to existing donors and partnerships, and ensure donor renewals.
● Plan, organize, and manage annual appeals, digital fundraising campaigns, and special events.
● Work in partnership with Marketing to develop and execute communication plans and key messaging across multiple platforms and media.
Grants, Foundations and Endowments
● Work with the Development Coordinator to research and track grants and foundation landscape, including funder associations, identify and communicate potential funding opportunities to Development and Program team, and coordinate the proposal planning process, from conceptualization through submission and reporting.
● Manage the grant calendar and process workflow, which includes submission dates for LOIs, applications and reports within set deadlines and in accordance with funder criteria.
● Work on securing funds via Foundation and Endowments as applicable
New Business Development
● Research potential partnerships within the WASH industry – water access, sanitation, hygiene and menstrual health.
● Work with the Development Consultant/s to provide new leads, business opportunities and ideas.
● Join lead calls with Development Team when necessary
● Interact with donors appropriately according to their needs and donor level.
● Segment donors based on giving level and/or giving potential and create customized stewardship plans.
● Develop strategies, communication plans, and fundraising proposals to cultivate current and prospective donor relationships, building a stronger development team for Surge.
● Understand how to strategically measure donor potential to expand partnership opportunities and monetary contributions
● Represent donor interests within the organization and anticipate donor needs, objections and opportunities.
● Provide personalized guidance, feedback and ideas to maximize the growth of partnerships.
● Travel to meet with high level or high-level potential donors, connect with their team, and present Surge for Water in-person
● Collaborate with the Development Coordinator to ensure each donor is properly recognized for their donations (e.g., appropriate use of website and newsletter recognition, or additional recognition, as appropriate)
● Ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors.
*Donors includes Individuals, Corporations, Grantors, Foundations, etc.
LEVEL OF DECISION-MAKING
Within the bounds of Surge’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Development Manager has the broad discretion to use independent judgement to manage their activities in whatever way will best serve Surge’s donors, partners, employees, volunteers and mission. Specific authorities associated with this position and their implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Executive Director
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED AND DESIRED)
● Minimum BA/BSc degree from an accredited university
● 2+ years of direct fundraising or sales experience.
● Ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
● A self-starter with high curiosity, energy and motivation.
● Fantastic customer service ethic and unwavering commitment to quality programs.
● Good time management skills, multi-tasking abilities, and team playing skills.
● High Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite or similar products and experience using fundraising software.
● Superior organizational, interpersonal and communications skills (written/oral).
● Enjoys an idea and information-sharing environment.
● Available to travel within the United States and internationally on occasion. Must have a valid passport and ability to travel internationally. Ability to walk or hike in conditions which may include uneven surfaces, inclinations, stairs, extreme weather, long distances, elevation changes or extremes, and / or other conditions associated with foreign travel.
● Ability to receive necessary vaccines and medication for travel to certain countries.
● Knowledge of non-profit fundraising best practices and various forms of development solicitation practices, including event planning, grant writing and donor management
● Experience with Customer Relationship Management systems – Salesforce is preferred
● Professional writing experience or coursework strongly preferred
● This must include experience with grant writing, donor management, and event planning
● Experience with social media management and digital marketing
Compensation: Salary of $55,000 to $65,000, dependent upon experience. Benefits include medical insurance allowance and paid time off.
Location: Remote position with some travel expected.
Note: This role allows for flexible work hours but does require several meetings during weekends and evenings to accommodate the schedules of Surge’s Board and volunteers
Policy Review: All Surge staff are required to review Surge’s Ethics Policy which provides guiding principles to ensure all activities are consistent with the values of Surge. It is the responsibility of members to comply with this policy. All staff must also review and sign Surge’s Non-Disclosure Agreement and Conflict of Interest Policy.