- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Development Officer Search
Do you speak the languages of both the social enterprise and international development ecosystems? Do you pride yourself on providing philanthropic investors everything they need to understand their social impact? Are you a changemaker who wants to play a pivotal role in restoring vision for millions of people in low income settings around the world?
VisionSpring seeks a Development Officer to collaborate with our leadership team in building strategic partnerships and a growing portfolio of dynamic, sophisticated funders. Reporting to the President and working closely with the Founder, the Development Officer will play the primary facilitative role in VisionSpring's fundraising efforts. S/he will work as part of an entrepreneurial team to raise philanthropic and government capital annually that augments earned revenue. Based at VisionSpring’s New York City headquarters, the Development Officer will manage a small team of staff/consultants.
· You shine when communicating with funders, derive satisfaction in finding a shared agenda with others, are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.
· You love generating funds to do good, better. You are building a high-hitting career in fundraising, and are not waiting to hop into a program implementation role.
· You are deeply curious about social enterprise models, field operations and the experience of partners and customers, and that makes you an exceptional organizational ambassador.
· You find it easy to put your thoughts into words, colleagues turn to you for editing support, and you love the art of story-telling.
· You enjoy creating structure, have exceptional focus and follow-through, and prioritize before you act.
· You are an emerging leader who wants to impact strategic initiatives and bring out the best in others.
· You are inclined to break out into song or dance when winning support for your organization. Nothing feels better than exceeding fundraising targets.
· At VisionSpring we are creating affordable access to eyewear, everywhere.
· We are motivated to make a difference for the 544 million people who could have their vision restored with a pair of reading glasses, 90% of whom live in low and low-middle income countries. For those who are low wage earners – textile factory workers, local tailors, bike mechanics, weavers, artisans, coffee bean sorters, small shop keepers – and anyone who needs to see up close for their profession, the loss of near vision during prime working years can affect their ability to earn a living and support a family.
· VisionSpring was founded on this basic principal: “If you can’t see well, it’s hard to do well.” In the years since, VisionSpring has broadened the scope of our work to include the distribution of prescription eyeglasses with the understanding that “If you can’t see well, it’s hard to learn.”
· With the William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan, we have found that in India a pair of VisionSpring eyeglasses increases customer productivity 35% and has the potential to increase monthly income by 20%.
· The optical market has failed to meet the needs of the working poor and low-income students. We are working to rectify that through the creative sale and distribution of high quality, affordable eyeglasses for ‘base-of-the-pyramid’ consumers.
· This year we will sell our 3 millionth pair of eyeglasses to consumers living on under $4 per day. From 900,000 customers this year in 10 countries (principally India, Bangladesh and Sub-Saharan Africa), we are working to scale our efforts to reach 10 million people in five years.
· As a social enterprise, we are a part of an international development paradigm shift and believe social enterprise models can deliver significant, scalable impact.
· With a robust and growing portfolio of supporters of leading national and international foundations and corporations (including the Skoll Foundation, the Mulago Foundation, and Jasmine Social Investments), an innovative partnership with Warby Parker and a growing cadre of long-term, major donors, VisionSpring is poised for significant expansion.
· We believe in scaling our impact, not our organization. We are a lean team of doers.
What you’ll do
· Cultivate long-term relationships with institutional donors, including foundations, corporations, and government, and a growing number of individual donors.
· Lead all donor stewardship practices to maintain the effectiveness and integrity of VisionSpring collaborations. Ensure donors receive timely, compelling and accurate reports.
· Prepare thoughtful proposals and requests for renewal funding, working collaboratively with program/field staff on objectives, indicator development and budgeting.
· Manage consultant engagements for initiatives such as the execution of an annual appeal, development of marketing collateral, etc.
· Develop and monitor opportunity pipeline and calendar for execution of proposals, reports, trips to the field and other forms of engagement.
· Leverage Salesforce customer relations system to track written communications, meetings, submissions, and gift processing, with strict attention to maintaining data integrity.
· Work with President and Founder to design and oversee execution of annual development strategic plans and budget, including close collaboration with the Board of Directors and Senior Management Team.
· Project and track raised revenue cash flow and report on key metrics to the Board of Directors and other stakeholders.
· A minimum of 6-8 years of professional experience, with at least 3 years in fundraising
· Demonstrated success managing a portfolio of funders with increasing responsibility and revenue performance.
· Effective in working with and engaging a wide variety of donors – individuals, corporations, foundations and government. Track record of successful government grants management.
· Bachelor's degree required. Master's preferred.
· Prior experience living in a low-income setting, and/or working across languages and cultures.
· Travel up to 5-10%, both domestically and internationally, as needed. Willingness to travel to locations with limited infrastructure.
· Currently authorized to work in the U.S.
Compensation: $75,000-$85,000 pending experience. VisionSpring offers competitive benefits, including: health insurance; generous vacation/personal time; 401K; and flexible spending accounts (health and dependent care).
To apply: Please submit an application including a thoughtful cover letter, résumé, and one relevant writing sample (up to 5 pages) to: email@example.com. Include your last name and "Development Officer" in the subject line. The preferred start date is December 1, 2015; early application is encouraged.
Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
VisionSpring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.