Digital Solutions Summer Associate
- Washington, D.C.
- Job Type
- Summer internship
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Accion is a global nonprofit dedicated to building a financially inclusive world with economic opportunity for all, by giving people the financial tools they need to improve their lives. We are building the next generation of top-tier microfinance institutions, and over the last 50 years have helped create 64 such institutions in 32 countries on four continents that today reach millions of clients. Our impact investing initiatives are pushing beyond microfinance to catalyze more than 20 innovative start-ups dedicated to improving the efficiency, reach and scope of financial services for the poor. And our Center for Financial Inclusion is helping to build a stronger industry with high standards. Currently, our work spans nearly two dozen countries, including the U.S., where we are the nation’s largest nonprofit microfinance network. For further information, visit www.accion.org.
Global Advisory Solutions:
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team provides experienced operational and management support to strengthen our partners and maximize their impact. We leverage innovations in financial services to lower cost and increase quality at scale, and thus help to build sustainable and scalable institutions focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. To that end, we work with organizations in emerging markets across Latin America, Africa and Asia to help them plan, implement, scale and enhance technologies and business models that can reduce bottlenecks to and catalyze the growth of financial services. We have experience on a variety of solutions, and particular expertise in digital financial services, such as mobile and agent banking. Drawing on best practices from years of combined experience and engagements, we have developed a Digital Financial Solutions (DFS) Toolkit with customized tools to guide clients through each step of strategy, planning, and deployment. We contribute to industry development through case study work and research, knowledge sharing, as well as training and capacity building activities.
We are currently recruiting a Summer Associate who will be based in Washington, DC. This unique role requires a diverse skill set, spanning management consulting, research, microfinance and Fintech entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation and technology in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to contribute to current global consulting engagements, and will work with the team to support meaningful projects and deliverables to complete during the internship period.
The length of this internship position is minimum 8 weeks, with a target start date of June 1, 2017.
• Provide detailed analytical research and hands-on project support
• Conduct needs assessments, identify and advise on value-enhancing projects
• Support development and deployment of the DFS Toolkit for Financial Institutions
• Provide project management support, including tools development and review (e.g. business requirements documentation, vendor analysis, etc.)
• Contribute to thought pieces, blogs, public relations and other modes of information dissemination to maximize demonstration effects, showcase lessons learned and build our brand as a thought leader in the space
• Collaborate closely with global team based in Africa, Asia, and Latin America
• Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including information technology, international development, or international relations degrees)
• Minimum of four years professional experience
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and passion for market-based solutions to poverty
• Business background with technology knowledge, ideally mobile banking or other innovative project experience
• Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics
• Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills (including powerpoint); comfortable working independently and confident to query senior managers
• Willingness to embody Accion’s values of Excellence, Respect and Passion for Social Change
• Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery channels such as agent banking, POS, mobile, etc.
• Microfinance experience highly valued
• GIS or advanced data analytics skills a plus
• Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
• Language skills beyond English, Spanish preferred
The Accion Digital Solutions Summer Associate will gain a deeper understanding and first-hand exposure to developing strategy and deploying digital financial service (DFS) solutions for our microfinance and Fintech clients and partners.
Please apply online at: https://jobs-accion.icims.com/jobs/1807/digital-solutions-summer-associate/job