Director of Business Development & Partnerships
- D-tree International
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
D-tree International is a leading digital health organization. We work to improve the quality of health systems in low and middle-income countries by exploiting digital technology in innovative ways. We are an interdisciplinary organization, working at the intersection of global health and technology. Expertise in both domains is essential to design and deploy systems which are both appropriate to particular contexts and effective in improving health outcomes. Our work is diverse, ranging from developing tools to support the government to engage with the private sector in Liberia, to an emergency referral system providing life-saving emergency transport to women and babies in Tanzania.
These systems are cost-effective and are saving lives. We now want to expand our reach and thereby increase our global impact. For that, we need to develop new strategic partnerships and explore business models. D-tree’s goal is to increase our impact and annual budget by 50% within two years.
We are seeking a full time Director of Business Development & Partnerships to lead D-tree’s business development efforts. You are someone who is passionate about business strategy and has a track record of developing business opportunities and ‘closing the deal’. You thrive working in a collaborative, inter-disciplinary and global team. You appreciate that to be effective in developing business for D-tree requires an in-depth understanding of our work, and you are eager to travel to the field to meet both our team and some of the frontline health workers who are using our tools. You are very comfortable with technology and are willing to learn in detail about how we undertake our work in order to be in a position to communicate with confidence and competence to potential partners. You are someone who regards yourself as able to think in terms of strategy and vision and yet someone who is just as comfortable digging into details. Yep, we want the lot, allied with a passionate engagement in our mission of improving the quality of healthcare globally.
You will identify and foster business and partnership opportunities leading to increasing D-tree’s reach and impact. The following list provides some of the activities you will lead, but the role will continue to evolve based on both the needs of the organization and your interests and skillset.
Strategy development & execution:
• Develop and lead the execution of D-tree’s business development strategy leading to a diversification of funding streams.
• Identify long-term partners and donors with the goal of increasing D-tree’s impact and annual budget by 50% within 2 years.
Lead generation & relationship management
• Identify new donor funding opportunities and partners and articulate D-tree’s added value to consortia. This will include working closely with our senior management team in articulation of core messages in a variety of communications formats.
• Develop and manage systems to identify funding opportunities in relevant thematic areas and geographies (i.e. from US Government, other governments, foundations, innovation challenges). This will include identification and organizational support within D-tree for a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to help D-tree organize and manage business opportunities.
• Attend events, conferences and participate in communities of practice to learn about potential opportunities for business development and promote D-tree’s added value to potential funders and partners.
• Cultivate long-term relationships with existing and potential partners and funders.
• Lead meetings and calls with potential partners to understand programmatic challenges and needs and propose ways that D-tree can support their work.
• Identify new funding opportunities and manage the grant or proposal application process including drafting, editing, and process management
Technical expertise: Through field visits and frequent communication with field teams, you will gain and maintain an in-depth knowledge of D-tree’s programs, technology and capacity in order to communicate avenues of collaboration with potential partners.
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to develop and maintain partnerships and expand our reach. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
• Minimum 5 years’ work experience in a business development role
• Experience researching, cultivating and maintaining relationships with partners and funders
• Proven track record of raising funds through writing grant proposals and prospecting with major donors/foundations
• Able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
• Good knowledge of the global digital health landscape, including donors and implementing partners, preferred
• Desire and ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time
• A can-do attitude: You remain optimistic in the face of adversity and creatively solve problems to get things done.
• Customer-focused: You are a people person who enjoys meeting people and putting the customer first. You have a friendly demeanor and a relentless commitment to following up and fostering relationships.
• An exceptional communicator: You understand complex technical topics and are able to communicate them effectively to non-technical audiences.
• A systems thinker: You are able to understand linkages and interactions between individual components in a health system, and design solutions to strengthen the overall system.
• An innovator: You enjoy thinking outside of the box and want to use that thinking to improve business models and strategies to support growth.
To apply for this role please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line: “Director of Business Development & Partnerships”
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you would add value to the D-tree team.
2. A writing sample demonstrating your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
3. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, showing your work history.