Director of Business Development
- Living Goods
- San Francisco, CA
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Living Goods seeks a Director of Business Development to join our growing Business Development Team. The Director will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and engaging a wide range of stakeholders to join us on our journey, with a focus on foundations and corporate donors both domestically and globally.
This role is about more than just securing financial support—we are looking for an individual who can develop opportunities to maximize our impact. This means experimenting with new fundraising strategies or mechanisms, contributing to program design, developing key partnerships, and transforming the way we engage with our community of supporters. We’re also looking for a powerful storyteller with an uncanny ability to convey the scale and impact of our work to a variety of stakeholders. The Director of Business Development will be instrumental in helping the organization scale its impact.
We plan to expand our business development team over the next few years and are looking for someone who is interested in building a career with the organization in the long-term. The ideal candidate will bring a deep appreciation for organizational development, a creative approach to relationship building, and a profound individual drive.
• Develop and execute strategies to meet Living Goods annual funding targets. You will own foundations and potentially other revenue areas, depending on experience.
• Cultivate new lead development and relationship-building.
• Build a significant pipeline of well-aligned funders who align with Living Goods mission and funding strategy.
• Build relationships with some of of the most thoughtful and forward-looking funders in the international development arena to grow Living Goods’ funding. Ensure that the Founder, President, and Head of Development, Communications, and Advocacy are poised to steward and enhance relationships with core funders to maintain and grow their support.
• Lead proposal and grant reporting teams.
• Liaise with various teams, including country operations, partnerships, finance, and M&E, to write well-crafted concept notes and funding proposals.
• Contribute to the overall strategy of Living Goods as a key leader on the growing business development team.
• Mentor, develop, and grow a team of direct reports.
• Have a deep passion for making the world a better place.
• Have established relationships with philanthropists, foundations, and other funders.
• Are a values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and demonstrates humility.
• Have a people-orientation. We do not need an extreme extrovert, but we are seeking someone who wants to spend their day building relationships with people by pursuing referrals, attending conferences and networking events, etc.
• Are a team-builder. We are looking for someone who has experience in, and passion for, helping to grow and develop a team of direct reports.
• 7+ years of experience fundraising, business development, sales, or client management.
• Proven track record of success in fundraising or sales.
• A desire and ability to help build the business development department in a rapidly expanding and fast-paced global organization. Experience managing direct reports.
• Experience in international development or social enterprise preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communicator.
• Significant experience in developing outreach and relationship-building strategies and implementing plans to achieve them.
• Demonstrated experience managing proposal teams and processes and producing deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
• Experience with budgeting and financial reporting is a plus.
• Willingness to travel 20% regionally and internationally
• BA required.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity.
Life at Living Goods
Living Goods is aiming to make disruptive changes, dramatically improving the lives of underserved communities. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to conceive and test new ideas every day. If you work well in a dynamic, highly collaborative culture, if you set high standards for yourself and your colleagues, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with calm determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods. See https://livinggoods.org/
Living Goods improves the lives of millions by revolutionizing the way community health is delivered in the developing world. We believe that all families should have access to basic healthcare and no child should die of easily preventable, treatable causes. To achieve this, Living Goods created an innovative, cost-effective approach for improving the health of families in need that combines the best practices from community health and successful person-to-person sales businesses. The model deploys networks of community health promoters who go door-to-door teaching families how to improve their health, and selling life-saving products like simple treatments for malaria, pneumonia, healthy fortified foods, clean birth kits, efficient cook stoves and solar lights. We recently completed a rigorous independent randomized control trial that showed the model is reducing under-5 mortality by more than 25%.
Living Goods is on a rapid growth trajectory. In the last two years, we tripled our impact and size to reach more than five million people. Our path to success requires changing the way local governments, the biggest non-governmental organizations, and public and private funders plan, finance, and deliver community health. We work with many of the world’s leading visionary organizations across the corporate, social, and government sectors. Current partners include the governments of Kenya and Uganda, plus BRAC, Care, and PSI.