Director of Client Services, Ultra – Poor Graduation
- BRAC USA
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
About the Organization
BRAC is the world’s largest development organization, dedicated to empowering people living in poverty. Working across 11 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 130 million people. Named the World’s Number 1 Ranked NGO in 2016 by NGO Advisor (www.ngoadvisor.net), BRAC uses a wide array of antipoverty tools such as microfinance, education, healthcare, food security programs and more.
In 2002, BRAC pioneered the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach: a time bound and sequenced set of interventions for the most vulnerable and destitute within poor communities. The approach has gained widespread recognition and has been adapted and replicated by non-governmental organizations, governments and microfinance institutions with success measured by rigorous independent evaluations and Randomized Control Trials.
In 2013, BRAC launched the Ultra-Poor Graduation Advocacy Initiative. The Initiative aims to catalyze global implementation of the Graduation approach and its adoption across major stakeholders through the following:
• Increased awareness and uptake of the Graduation approach by stakeholders including policymakers, development finance agencies, national governments, NGOs and MFI implementers as a result of global advocacy efforts.
• Effective implementation of the Graduation approach, supported through advisory services/technical assistance, training and knowledge transfer from BRAC’s Targeting the Ultra-Poor program to external stakeholders interested in, or currently implementing Graduation approaches.
BRAC now seeks to hire several high level positions for a global team focused on advocacy, advisory services and fundraising around the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach. This team will work with staff members across BRAC global operations in New York, London, Bangladesh, and other country offices of BRAC in Asia and Africa.
About the Position
BRAC seeks to hire a Director of Client Services to manage a team of development professionals and to oversee and grow BRAC’s suite of advisory services and technical assistance around the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach. Under the general supervision of the Managing Director, s/he is responsible for providing technical leadership and oversight to Graduation programs designed through client engagements with UN agencies, governments, the World Bank, microfinance institutions, and NGOs. S/he will lead a team of program managers and program associates to develop a client acquisition and business development strategy, produce bids and proposals for emerging opportunities, and produce winning deliverables for our clients. The Director will work closely with members of the broader BRAC global Graduation team and the BRAC USA team. The position will be based in New York City.
The Director of Client Services will be responsible for developing and executing the team’s technical advisory services and strategy. Primary responsibilities include:
• Provide strategic vision and leadership to BRAC’s Graduation technical assistance, including a strategy for client acquisition and marketing of advisory services;
• Develop and secure a steady stream of client engagements through varied open procurement processes with government social protection agencies, INGOs, MFIs and multilaterals;
• Ensure delivery of quality technical assistance, such as developing quality control measures for externally facing products, internal product ideation and development processes, and developing new service offerings and strategies to enhance client and staff experience;
• Provide oversight and technical guidance to staff members and external consultants on technical assistance engagements. This includes coordinating missions and teams producing technical work products and deliverables including feasibility reports, market assessments, rapid livelihoods assessments, program design recommendations, program budgets, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and other products and recommendations to meet client needs;
• Manage and support capacity of technical team through hiring, staff development, and supervising work flow management;
• Willingness to travel extensively (50-65%), at times in locations with limited amenities.
Skills/ Qualifications/ Experience
Education: Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, evaluation or another related field required.
• At least 10+ years of experience in livelihoods programming, social protection and financial inclusion in Africa and/or Asia, preferably with a particular focus on creating economic resilience and food secure households within vulnerable populations.
• A proven track record in developing successful new client acquisition strategies and delivering quality technical assistance for diverse clients, including UN agencies, governments, the World Bank, microfinance institutions, international NGOs, and others.
• Demonstrated success in managing and growing high functioning teams towards delivery of complex consulting deliverables is required.
• Experience as a technical advisor in curricula development, training and facilitation preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
• Evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams, and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way, requiring strong, developed leadership ability, and effective project and staff management skills.
• Strategic mindset; strong capacity to analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into compelling plan of action.
• Proven ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients.
• Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks, develop innovative approaches and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions.
• Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; diplomatic and highly effective on an interpersonal level and a high degree of cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change.
• Excellent writing and public speaking skills in English required. Fluency in French, Portuguese, Swahili, or Bengali a plus.
• Experience crafting complex budgets and a high degree of proficiency in Excel is required.
How to Apply
Based in New York City, this is an outstanding opportunity to support a highly-effective nonprofit. BRAC USA will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 401k, and vacation benefits.
BRAC USA is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with state and federal law.
To apply, please visit www.bracusa.org/jobs, and upload your resume, detailed cover letter, references, and salary history.