Director of Communications
- Fundacion Capital
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
What are we offering?
We are seeking an experienced communications professional to lead our Communications Department, to develop and implement a strategic vision to position and promote our international organization. Our ideal candidate is a native / bilingual English speaker with strong knowledge of Spanish and has worked at least 4 years at the senior level of communication management and strategy, with relevant experience interacting with important development funders and significant private sector experience. S/he will ideally be based in Bogota, Colombia or in the U.S., preferably in Washington D.C. (location may be negotiated), working remotely with an international team in Latin America and Africa and occasional travel, under a one year service provision contract with a high chance to renew. We offer a flexible and creative professional opportunity with an award-winning social enterprise, where you can turn ideas into reality, and collaborate with an inspiring, diverse and international team.
What are the tasks and responsibilities?
The selected candidate will lead our Communications Department, currently consisting of four team members including the Director, and manage all external and internal communications. S/he shall effectively transmit our mission, vision, activities and achievements, above all to our donors, partners and clients, but also to the general public, technical experts and other stakeholders. S/he will also play an important fundraising role in building and pursuing new opportunities that lead to partnership and funding opportunities, as well as oversee internal communications within the organization and between the various country and regional offices. The Director of Communications will be self-directed and report directly to the CEO, while also collaborating with international team members across the organization. The essential responsibilities include:
– Communication Strategy & Branding: lead the development and implementation of a global communications strategy to advance our brand and international positioning, building on existing efforts and recognition; partner with the CEO and senior management team on innovative sub-strategies for thematic divisions or regional communication efforts; develop organizational messaging paired with external and internal diffusion plans; proactively identify opportunities that further our brand.
– Networking: build and maintain partnerships with current and future donors, clients and partners (particularly from the Anglo-American sphere), such as governments, private companies and the media; help raise funds; promote and represent the organization in public forums and events, including giving speeches and presentations at key conferences.
Content & Community Engagement: manage the team for the creation and diffusion of compelling material for a variety of audiences and channels; serve as primary point of contact for media or other interested parties; manage the collection, editing and use of content from local activities; ensure that the website and social media platforms are up-to-date and consistently convey branding and messaging; lead and develop new initiatives to enhance our digital presence.
– Management & Coordination: manage and mentor the communications team; work closely with the technical staff, as well as Admin, HR, C-Level, Business Development and IT areas around organizational issues and needs; manage relationships with vendors (including designers, photographers, web developers, videographers, etc.); measure and analyze the effectiveness of the organization’s communication efforts.
– Internal Communications: oversee main internal communication platforms and processes to ensure that institutional guidelines are met, local information is shared on institutional platforms, and knowledge sharing is occurring across the organization
Local Communication: support our country representatives in their communication activities and align their local communication content with the global brand and strategy to ensure consistent messaging and branding.
Who are we looking for?
The person we are looking for should be:
– highly motivated, with a strong work ethic and the ability to juggle competing priorities;
independent, flexible and feel comfortable in a start-up like environment and in working across time zones using videoconferencing technology as a primary communications tool;
– a convincing spokes(wo)man who is able to relate excellently with high-level representatives from the development sector and to publicly represent our organization;
– detail oriented and analytical, but never loses sight of the big picture;
– able and willing to travel approximately 25% of their time (nationally and internationally);
able to work in the United States without sponsorship (if based in US).
Languages: native speaker / bilingual in English with excellent written and oral communication skills; proficiency in Spanish.
Skills & Knowledge:
Demonstrated experience and proven success in developing and executing communications strategies and managing branding for an international organization.
Understanding (or with the ability to quickly learn) of technical issues around social entrepreneurship, economic inclusion and social protection.
Extensive experience building partnerships and representing an institution/brand.
Broad knowledge of communication tools, social media platforms, multimedia communications operation.
Experience with public speaking, handling media relations and global advocacy.
Proven track record in measurement and control of communication impact.
Work Experience: Minimum 4 years work experience at the senior and management communication levels, developing and executing communication strategies and marketing campaigns, including experience in the U.S. and the global north.
Education: undergraduate degree in communication, publicity, marketing, public relations or related fields.
We will look favorably upon candidates who can demonstrate: international work experience in Latin America and Africa or other developing countries; additional language skills in Portuguese and French; familiarity with development issues, especially around financial inclusion; master’s degree; proven track record of fundraising.
How can you apply?
Please send us your CV, two work samples and a concise cover letter in which you explain (1) your motivation to work with us, (2) why you would be a good addition to our team, as well as (3) salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Send your applications as soon as possible to recruiting@fundacioncapital.
Fundación Capital (FundaK) is an international organization whose team works in 17 countries across Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa, with the mission of reducing poverty and advancing economic citizenship globally and at scale. We work in the design, development and implementation of innovative projects, with the goal of helping individuals living in poverty to build, grow, manage and protect their financial, human, physical and social assets. (www.fundacioncapital.org)