Director of Communications
- Seeds of Peace
- Where to Apply
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or higher
Location: New York
Job Category: Communications
Job Posted: 4/19/2016
Area of Focus: Children and Youth, Peace, War, and Conflict Resolution
Since 1993, Seeds of Peace inspires and cultivates new generations of global leaders in communities divided by conflict. We equip them with the skills and relationships they need to accelerate social, economic, and political changes essential for peace.
Our leadership development model begins with a transformational camp session in Maine for exceptional young people and educators living in conflict. The program shifts attitudes and perceptions and builds respect and empathy. Our approach continues through year-round local programs that strengthen relationships and leadership capacities.
We then accelerate the impact of our alumni who are challenging the ideologies, policies, and practices that perpetuate conflict. Our network now encompasses over 6,000 alumni throughout the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, and the United States who are uniquely positioned to lead change.
This position is responsible for leading overall messaging, press relations, and brand strategy for Seeds of Peace, engaging internal and external stakeholders across multiple platforms.
This position will execute an organizational and forward thinking communications plan, and be charged with increasing awareness and visibility for Seeds of Peace globally while creating opportunities to engage external stakeholders in core mission topics. This will be achieved through traditional and new media, PR campaigns and targeted press opportunities, and through strategic partnerships. This position is tasked with overseeing the external relations functions of the organizational as well as leading effective internal communication to ensure consistency and effective messaging of our work.
• Design and execute general press strategy, including leading PR surrounding special events
• Work with and support program participants to tell their story effectively.
• Oversee strategy for increased (and pro-active) media outreach, including identifying platforms (written, speaking, etc.) for organizational leadership.
• Create opportunities for external conversations around core mission topics, including youth development, conflict resolution and transformation, peacebuilding, leadership, education, and social change.
• Strengthen organizational identity so that stakeholders can engage with mission and values of Seeds of Peace.
• Support external programmatic and philanthropic partners with effective and relevant materials
• Work with Communications team focused on website, core materials, and publications, including social media, new media, and storytelling.
• Develop annual Communications plan that considers organizational, programmatic and fundraising goals.
• Develop strategy to tell Seeds of Peace’s story and display impact across multiple mediums.
• Serve as organizational spokesperson as needed, as well as prep and craft messages for other spokespeople (Executive Director, Board, etc.).
• Identify speaking/writing opportunities for alumni, participants, and other thought leaders.
• Develop plan for effective internal communications—sharing program information, thought pieces, etc.
• Lead promotional efforts surrounding new programs and participation
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
• BA degree in related field; MA preferred.
• Minimum 5 years of working experience in related field.
• Proficiency graphic and web design, WordPress and desktop publishing (including Adobe CS).
• Excellent written communication and editing skills.
• Experience managing and leading teams.
• Ability to think creatively.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to manage and capitalize on relevant pro-bono opportunities.
• Experience with social media strategy
• Ability to work virtually and across time zones with staff based overseas
• Advanced understanding of Middle East and South Asia conflicts.
• Ability to work with others on developing their voice for effective organizational opportunities.
• Willingness to travel internationally.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
Proficiency in Hebrew and/or Arabic a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
To apply, please complete the online application at:
If there is any issue with the link, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please indicate that you applied through Next Billion.
* Only short-listed candidates will be contacted