Director of Data Science
- Sorenson Impact Center
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
We create global impact by combining impact investing & innovative finance, data science, policy entrepreneurship, community engagement, and impact storytelling. This Sorenson Impact methodology translates inspiration into impact and helps social entrepreneurs and organizations articulate, measure, and expand their impact. Students are integrated into all our work. We operate an impact investing practice for our own fund and as a manager of an outside fund; we annually host one of the largest gatherings in the impact space; we have a thriving Data, Policy and Performance Innovation advisory practice and a world-class creative shop.
For more information, please visit: https://www.sorensonimpact.com/
The Sorenson Impact Center is seeking a Director for the data science team to work with governments, nonprofits, philanthropists, impact investors, and other social entrepreneurs to help them better utilize data to affect change. The ideal candidate will be someone who is experienced in managing teams and data-intensive projects, skilled with analytics and programming, and passionate about the potential to improve social outcomes through the use of these tools. Our partners and clients invest millions into the social sector and have the potential to affect widespread change and reduce inequality.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the Center’s data science team in its goal of leveraging open-source software to advance data-driven decision making among clients across the private, public, and social sectors. The data science team members work together with staff from across the Center on client projects, conducting analysis and translating findings into actionable deliverables for clients.
You would work under direction from the Center’s Managing Director of Data, Policy, and Performance Innovation and alongside other members of the team, but you will also work closely with clients from across the social sector in locations all over the United States.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN25944B – 01691 – Sorenson Impact Center
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
Role expectations include:
• Manage a team of four data scientists at the Center.
• Provide team oversight, including resource management and project planning.
• Create accountability for team outcomes and deliverables.
• Lead data work on projects, including data analysis, translating data for deliverables, and directly engaging with clients.
• Cultivate new business and create project scopes, bringing the data science perspective and collaborate with others at the Center.
• Work with colleagues from other division of the University of Utah to sort out the legal, technical, engineering, and analytical challenges faced by project stakeholders. Tor example:
• Creating a predictive model of demographic trends in the United States and how they will impact enrollment at public universities.
• Consulting with legal scholars to ensure that a data sharing agreement meets appropriate privacy standards and federal laws.
• Operationalizing a predictive analytics platform and dashboard to help identify high-needs individuals.
• Visualizing several years of law enforcement data and modeling how policies have impacted public safety.
*These are all examples of what the team will accomplish together, but the actual projects will depend on which client organizations are selected and what their needs are.
1. Manages a team of data scientists; supervises junior staff and students within the data team.
2. Oversees the operation of the data team including resource management, project planning, and supervision of project deliverables within the data team.
3. Creates accountability for team outcomes.
4. Oversees the development and implementation of research and data programs in alignment with Sorenson Impact Center objectives.
5. Markets and promotes new and existing programs and services to internal and external customers.
6. Cultivates new business and creates project scopes, bringing the data science perspective and collaborating with others at the Center.
7. Engages in client work, including:
a. Builds relationships directly with clients, translating their needs into a project plan and desired outcomes, and presenting findings and deliverables.
b. Oversees and conducts statistical analyses, employing methods of descriptive statistics, multivariate analysis, regression analysis, and other statistical modeling techniques appropriate for the client’s needs.
c. Effectively communicates data analyses to a variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical.
d. Writes reports and creates dashboards and data visualizations for clients.
e. Devise methods and procedures for collecting data.
8. May travel to a variety of sites within and outside the University to coordinate projects.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
The Sorenson Impact Center strongly encourages diverse applicants (please circulate widely), especially those who self-identify as Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, speak English as a second language, and others from overlooked / underestimated communities.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree and 6-8 years of related experience in the field or related area is required.
This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Preference will be given for the following:
• Master’s or PhD in data science, statistics, business, public policy, or a related field preferred
• Data programming (R language preferred) and analysis experience required.
• Ability to demonstrate 4+ years of direct report and client project management experience.
• Ability to provide direction to senior staff, policy makers, and other stakeholders, consulting experience preferred.
• Strong analytical, writing, and communication skills.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/114424
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.