Director of Engineering
- Dobility, Inc.
- Manchester, NH, USA
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
We are looking for an energetic and entrepreneurial individual to join our efforts to expand our product offering and achieve our social mission. Although we are a small, lean, and early-stage social enterprise, our product, SurveyCTO, has already been used by thousands of teams in roughly 150 countries.
This position offers the opportunity to be Dobility’s first full-time Director of Engineering, with broad responsibility and the chance to lead a gifted and growing technical team. For this position, we’re looking for an all-around technical star with a broad range of full-stack, Android, and iOS experience, management experience, and a talent for technical leadership. As we are a lean, growing organization, this is a hands-on position: the expectation is that it would begin with roughly 30% time spent doing hands-on development and 70% time spent architecting, recruiting, and managing; it would quickly shift to something more like 20/80; and eventually, as the team grows, it would become something more like 10/90.
Candidates should be committed to Dobility’s mission of providing great technology to improve data for research, social, and public sector organizations. Current and former engineering managers are encouraged to apply, as are strong developers who have management experience, a talent for organizing and coordinating, and a desire to grow.
– Oversee and coordinate planning, design, and implementation for major updates to SurveyCTO, Dobility’s flagship product, as well as for experimental projects and new products.
– Set a high technical bar for productivity, code cleanliness and reliability, and overall product excellence.
– Recruit and manage a small, worldwide development team that consistently outperforms larger, better-funded teams.
– Oversee graphical and UI design, as it relates to the core products.
– Manage Dobility’s growing AWS server infrastructure.
– Manage the quality-control team.
– Manage back-stopping of front-line technical support team and aggressive response to customer problems (including workarounds, patches, and slip-stream releases as necessary to maintain Dobility’s reputation for exceptional reliability and service).
This is a full-time position based in Manchester, New Hampshire. Particularly for those with longer commutes, flexible office and telecommuting schedules are possible.
About the organization:
Dobility, the company behind SurveyCTO, was founded by Dr. Christopher Robert, an early tech entrepreneur and CTO who left technology to live overseas, train in economics and public policy, then research and teach at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. His experience on the ground made him realize that the research and development sectors badly needed better technology to gather and manage data. Dobility’s mission is to help ensure that high-quality data is affordable, so that more decisions are based on good data (vs. bad data or no data).
Dobility differentiates itself in the market by providing unmatched reliability, affordability, and customer support. It is a fast-moving company with a motivated team that has spent time in the field to understand customers’ pain points first-hand.
About the product:
SurveyCTO is a survey and data-collection platform designed for the specific demands of doing research in developing countries and other challenging settings. It can be used online or offline, on web, tablet, or phone. Most often it’s used by surveyors in the field to perform guided interviews with survey respondents (“Computer Assisted Personal Interviews”). It protects against fraud by recording how long surveys take, audio recording when suspicious behavior is flagged, and employing statistical algorithms to look for anomalies in the data. It’s also an extraordinarily flexible platform that allows for advanced survey logic, pre-loading existing data into survey questions, and automatically merging incoming data into back-office applications like Excel.
SurveyCTO has been used to collect over three million survey submissions in roughly 150 countries by organizations such as the World Bank, Save the Children, Clinton Health Access Initiative, Innovations for Poverty Action, and many others. You can see other examples of organizations we work with on our website.
Ideal candidate profile:
– Has deep experience and established expertise in Java.
– Has experience developing desktop and mobile applications, including working with designers and UI experts on visual elements.
– Personally obsessive about writing solid code (not a typical “rusher”, doesn’t rely on quality-control team to catch high volume of mistakes).
– Has experience with MySQL and other database systems.
– Has experience with Amazon Web Services (especially EC2 and RDS).
– Has at least some Android development experience.
– Has at least some iOS development experience.
– Familiar with Git and Mercurial.
– Ability to manage multiple relationships and projects simultaneously.
– Experience with project management tools (ideally JIRA).
– Expertise with Tomcat and/or Python would be a plus.
– Expertise with high-concurrency multi-threaded applications would be a plus.
– Experience managing a diverse and distributed technical team would be a strong plus.
The salary range is $90,000 to $130,000 plus benefits packages, including health insurance and 401(k) with company match. The specifics will depend on the applicant’s level of prior experience.