Director of Enterprise Development and Investment
- Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Please complete the application survey at http://bit.ly/ApplyDirectorEntDevInvGACC and send your CV in PDF format to email@example.com
About the role
You will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Alliance’s strategy to the strengthen supply of clean cookstoves and fuels by supporting enterprise development and driving investment to grow the sector. You will collaborate with Alliance colleagues responsible for gender, technology, fuels and in-country market development, and lead a team of three in order to fulfil the following milestones of the Alliance’s business plan:
- Mobilize $100M in investment by 2017 through championing and supporting capital mobilization, including using the Alliance’s convening ability to rally capital providers and donors. The Alliance will rely on partners to raise and deploy investment capital, however it will raise and use donor funds to support the establishment of investment vehicles.
- Continue to develop a pipeline of investment-ready enterprises through an established portfolio of funds targeting different phases of enterprise paths to profitability
- Increase number of investors and resources to strengthen the supply of clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels in priority markets.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Alliance’s global strategy to strengthen supply in the cookstoves and fuels sector.
- Oversee the management of the Alliance’s portfolio of enterprise funding and capacity development programs, including the Spark Fund, the Pilot Innovation Fund, the Capacity Building Facility, Catalytic Small Grantprogram and Boost. Provide leadership on all aspects of this portfolio of approximately $5 million per year, including managing the budget, program design, and grantee management.
- Engage with and educate investors about the investment potential in the clean cooking sector.
- Lead the Alliance’s work to mobilize investment capital for the clean cooking sector. This means directly approaching and engaging key stakeholders (such as potential investors, financial intermediaries, investment structure advisors, donors) on the design and launch of investment vehicle(s) to meet the funding needs of cookstoves and fuels businesses. (This constitutes around 40% of the role)
- Support the Senior Director Partnerships in fundraising for enterprise development and investment programs, as well as grant reporting. This means directly identifying and engaging with potential donors, and discussing opportunities to support the portfolio of enterprise funding and capacity development programs, as well as raising donor funds to support capital mobilization (“first loss capital”, financial support for fund set up costs, operating expenses) (This constitutes around 25% of the role)
- Support the implementation of impact metrics applicable to cookstoves and fuels enterprises
- Provide input on Alliance initiatives (e.g. gender, technology innovation) as they apply to investment and enterprise development.
- Lead and develop your team members, for example by organizing projects and travel in a way that it meets their career goals. Track, supervise and give input into their work.
- Supervise the implementation of the Alliance’s strategy to increase access to carbon finance.
Who we are looking for:
- Activating networks and relationships is one of your natural gifts
- You have developed and implemented programs that invest in and build capacity of enterprises.
- At least two years professional experience in emerging markets.
- Over 5 years of experience in investment, ideally impact investing.
- At least 8 years of total work experience.
- You have lead virtual teams.
- Knowledge of business planning and capacity needs of social enterprises.
- Ability to articulate Alliance purpose and activities to others in a convincing manner.
- You know how to develop and maintain effective working relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations and cultural backgrounds, and with a wide variety of functional expertise, in a demanding and fluid work environment.
- You hold a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Enterprise, Finance, or similar required.
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- You are willing to travel extensively and you know how to seamlessly integrate international travel in your work and personal schedule
- Ability to work under pressure, lead in uncertain environments and handle stress.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at Global Alliance of Clean Cookstoves if
- You are able to multi-task and naturally think outside-the-box
- Comfortable working in unstructured environments and flexible to adapt to changes
- You are passionate about social and environmental advancement in emerging markets and you are ready to go the extra mile to achieve this goal
- You aim to deliver great service to your stakeholders
- You are not afraid to test out new ideas and learn from your mistakes
- You work with failure in a transparent way and you always try again
- You support the vision of the Global Alliance and the UN foundation
Why work with us?
- In our small team you will get full accountability fast
- We are highly-performing and passionate people
- Purpose driven organization, it's rewarding to see the results of our work
- Join us in pioneering enterprise development in this sector
- Have your feet in both worlds: Create impact in emerging markets while engaging with investors in Europe, North America etc.
- You will work closely with a vibrant international team across four continents driving global outcomes
- Competitive compensation – either as a UN Foundation employee with attractive benefits or with an equivalent package as a contracted consultant
Ideally, the successful candidate will start as soon as possible, and join the team for a week of induction in Ghana on 10th November 2015.
Location – If the candidate wishes to be based in Washington, DC, s/he will be an employee of the UN Foundation and will be based in Washington DC. We are open to hiring a candidate outside the US, in which case the candidate will be hired on a long-term consultant contract basis. In any case, candidates must have prior work authorization for the country they wish to be based in and prove this during the application process.
Teamwork will be virtual most of the time with two annual physical team meetings. You will travel frequently to North America and Europe, representing the Alliance at events and to build and manage partnerships.
You should be ready to commit to this role for 2.5 years, ideally longer. We want you to shape this role and run with it for a few years. We’ll arrange a 3-month probation period with learning and delivery objectives.
Want to apply?
- Send your CV in PDF format to Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill out the application survey under http://bit.ly/ApplyDirectorEntDevInvGACC
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until a suitable candidate is selected. Only complete applications will receive a response.
- Where possible, we will arrange for a face-to-face interview.