Director of Foundation Giving
- Fair Trade USA (FTUSA)
- Oakland, CA, Washington, DC, or New York, NY
- Job Type
- Contact Information
The Position & Key Priorities
FTUSA is now investing significant capital in its global expansion and is well positioned for its next phase of growth, impacting the lives of millions of families. The Director of Foundation Giving will join this incredible journey and help provide the resources to drive innovation to enable the organization to scale.
Reporting to the Vice President of Resource Development, the Director is charged with driving FTUSA’s ambitious growth plans by growing and managing a portfolio of foundation and institutional partners and related grants with leading U.S. and international private foundations, institutions, and corporations. She/he will be responsible for partnering with the Vice President to define a strategic plan for institutional giving with specific metrics and milestones.
Working in collaboration with the Vice President of Resource Development, the philanthropy team, and FTUSA’s category leaders, the Director’s key priorities include:
– Solicit and steward major ($25,000+) and principal gifts ($500,000K+) from corporation, foundation and related entities.
– Collaborate across the organization to co-create programs, projects and initiatives that advance FTUSA’s mission.
– Identify and develop innovative strategic and collaborative funding opportunities with current and potential partners.
– Formulate and implement individual plans and strategies for developing key partnerships and initiatives, coordinating necessary internal and external resources to ensure all grant programs are effectively executed and partners’ needs are fully met.
– Develop strategies for engaging new partners and identifying additional corporate or foundation funders.
– Demonstrate and deploy excellent working knowledge of Fair Trade USA’s mission, strategy, goals and programs in writing and in person.
– Oversee lifetime management of grant funded projects, tracking implementation progress, funds utilization and progress toward achievement of project milestones and results.
– Represent FTUSA at meetings and conferences to remain appraised of global development trends and issues and explore new opportunities for engagement.
– Manage, mentor and train staff in the institutional partnerships team.
The Ideal Candidate
Fair Trade USA is seeking an outstanding, accomplished foundation leader who can significantly grow the organization’s revenue and impact over the next 3 to 5 years. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in leading foundation teams, demonstrated success in developing new partnerships and deepening existing relationships, and securing significant multi-year support.
The Director will be a natural relationship builder, coach and mentor for staff. This position manages a team of Foundation staff and will collaborate with dedicated, knowledgeable and hardworking staff across the organization including business developers and supply chain managers. As such, the Director must have outstanding people management and facilitation skills.
Fair Trade USA is a fast-paced, dynamic environment driven by a passion for doing good in the world. It values integrity, innovation, idealism and impact. The Director must thrive in this highly entrepreneurial and results-focused setting and bring the analytical strength to help the organization prioritize opportunities and execute successfully.
– Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree strongly preferred in international development, international relations, public policy, economics or a related field.
– Minimum of 10 years’ experience in developing and managing complex partnerships with leading U. S./international institutional funding partners and in private foundation grants cultivation and management, including at least 3 – 4 years’ experience of successfully growing funding for large-scale projects.
– Strong quantitative and analytical skills, excellent communication, and entrepreneurial thinking. – Must be able to formulate strategies and concepts and influence others.
– Ability to build relationships with diverse individuals, and direct experience engaging with program officers, senior-level decision makers and influencers in foundations / philanthropy community.
– Significant business development and relationship building skills, and proven ability to meet revenue targets.
– Experience managing and motivating a team of high performers.
– Some travel required, within the U.S. and internationally.
– The location is flexible, although a location in the San Francisco Bay Area or Washington DC – NY metropolitan areas is preferred.
– Must demonstrate passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission.
To Be Considered
Fair Trade USA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified candidates to apply as soon as possible by submitting both a resume and a cover letter to the attention of Ruskin Hartley, Vice President of Resource Development
Fair Trade USA (FTUSA), a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine’s Social Capitalist award, is an internationally renowned social enterprise that promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. Founded in 1998, FTUSA is the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States. Its unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farming families in the developing world to leading U.S. and global companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships. Fair Trade empowers working and farming families to improve their living standards while protecting the environment. At the same time, it strengthens global supply chains and makes sustainability a driver of profitability for the business community. To date, FTUSA has channeled over $450 million in additional income to hardworking farmers and workers around the world.
How It Works
Fair Trade USA takes pride in having developed strong partnerships with over 1,200 U.S. and global companies – from importers and exporters to leading brands and retailers of coffee, tea, chocolate, sugar, fresh produce, fish, apparel, home goods, and dozens of other product categories. Our unique, “shared value” model ensures that farmers and workers in the global supply chain achieve better working conditions, incomes and living standards. At the same time, Fair Trade enables brands and retailers to develop stronger supply chains, reputations and consumer loyalty. Today, 64% of U.S. shoppers recognize the Fair Trade Certified™ label and 20% are buying Fair Trade products. The rapid growth of the Fair Trade market over the last 18 years suggests that a more enlightened model of Conscious Capitalism is emerging – enabling people, planet and profit to thrive together. As both a market phenomenon and a grassroots movement, Fair Trade is reaching a tipping point, promising dramatic growth in scale and impact in the coming years.