Director of Global Supply Chain
- Kampala, Uganda; Kigali, Rwanda; or Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
Title: Director of Global Supply Chain, Jibu
Location: Kampala, Uganda; Kigali, Rwanda; or Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Regional Director of Operations
Start date: Position Available Immediately
Founded in 2012, Jibu is a pioneering a powerful new model that provides opportunities for entrepreneurs to own businesses that ensure access to basic human necessities in underserved, emerging market communities. Jibu has scaled a network of locally owned, economically independent franchises that provide safe drinking water to their communities while offering life-changing training and employment.
Empowered by a belief in the ability of eye-to-eye partnership to unleash latent entrepreneurial talent, Jibu is transforming the challenge of addressing basic human needs into an expansive opportunity that allows thousands of young entrepreneurs to build lasting solutions, one neighborhood at a time. The company’s ultimate vision is to train, finance, and grow a network of co-invested business owners who will revolutionize the way critical resources participate in emerging markets. For additional information, please visit: http://jibuco.com/
Jibu is looking for a strategic thinker with business acumen who is a creative problem-solver and who wishes to commit a minimum of two years to help lead a rapidly growing company to make a profit while also making a big social impact. The successful candidate must be experienced in vendor management and have the knowledge to build the systems, structure and tools necessary for a proactive and efficient supply chain, end to end, for our fast-moving consumer goods.
This position requires:
– Street smarts to navigate both formal and informal supply chain components to ensure product quality consistency, highly competitive pricing, and consistent supply
– Creativity and ability to build / design new products
– An energetic self-starter, a proven problem-solver and someone willing to “roll up their sleeves” to do what it takes to get tough jobs done
– Ability to work strategically, creatively, flexibly and persistently to solve gnarly challenges
– An entrepreneurial mindset with a focus on cost reduction and continuous improvement
– Ability to coordinate all of the various team members, vendors, transporters, officials, and others in the supply chain to ensure efficiency
– Ability to organize and prioritize the purchase, movement, and import of goods from Europe, United States, China, E. Africa and elsewhere to build an efficient, cost-effective, end-to-end, global supply chain serving Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and other regions of Africa and beyond
– Proven interpersonal, relationship and people management skills
– Ability to develop supply forecasting, stock control and reporting systems and coach / cross train on the process to ensure effective execution across all markets
The candidate may choose to live in Kampala, Uganda, Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya, accountable to Jibu’s Managing Directors and will directly report to Jibu’s Regional Director of Operations. Although the Director of Global Supply Chain (DSC) will be operationally focused, the position will also guide strategy as it pertains to the operations, will identify new system needs, support existing business units as well as expansion and will drive special projects related to operations and supply chain management.
DSC will be responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of supply chain including procurement, purchasing, vendor management, transport and forwarding, customs brokerage, and inventory management. The majority of efforts will be to proactively identify and overcome supply chain gaps and weaknesses to effectively source cheaper materials, coordinate transport costs effectively and quickly, and, ultimately, ensure that Jibu remains hyper-competitive in product pricing while ensuring sufficient stock at all times.
The Director position functions as an advisor to the in-country supply and procurement teams with dotted-line management supervision. It also serves as a consultant to the Managing Directors assisting them with systems, vendor negotiations and management, and the oversight that allows them to maximize the effectiveness of their operations.
Additionally, the DSC will be responsible for new product development as Jibu seeks to incorporate new products that meet basic needs in addition to the core product (water) and will be instrumental in sourcing new and better ways to accomplish our mission through modifications to and/or change-out of any and all resources used by Jibu in providing products and services. Finally, the DSC may be responsible for more broadly supporting needs and addressing gaps across Jibu’s Africa operations. Primary responsibilities will vary and require hands-on persistence, long hours, and agility to respond to the challenges/needs that arise day to day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lead and design the company\’s supply chain strategy
2. Develop demand planning systems
4. New product development
5. Vendor management
6. Negotiation with suppliers and partners
7. Forwarding and transport
8. Warehouse and inventory management
9. Customs clearing
10. Product quality control
11. Assistance in managing supply chain staff
12. General operations and logistics
13. Develop and implement business processes
• Strong for-profit business supply chain management experience
• At least 3 years’ experience working in supply chain in an emerging market context, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
• Cultural knowledge and experience working or living in a developed market context, preferably in Europe or the United States
• A team player with a sense of adventure wanting to make a difference
• Personality profile: practical, organized, responsive, persistent, likeable, resourceful, likes challenges
• Sourcing experience in China is a plus
• Fluent English language skills
• Local language skills a plus
• Franchise experience a plus
The successful candidate will earn a competitive base salary. Strong performance and/or equity incentives may be additionally offered on the achievement of organizational goals
Send resumes and statements of interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applications, we may not be able to respond to every application we receive. If you have not received an invitation for an interview from us within 4 weeks of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.