Director of Human Resources Operations and Administration
- Root Capital
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
The Director of HR Operations and Administration oversees core HR and Admin systems and processes. S/he gathers continual inputs from regional HR team members to ensure that policies and practices are developed collaboratively and implemented at the regional level with excellence and in a locally-appropriate manner. S/he is a skilled HR general practitioner with demonstrated knowledge of principles, procedures and best practices for effective HR, including recruitment, selection, training, classification & compensation, benefits, employee relations, conflict resolution, and HR information systems. S/he brings high cross-culturally competency and fluency in Spanish.
Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund whose mission is to grow rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often, thousands of farmers. Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $500 million in credit to over 420 small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital envision a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru and Kenya.
Lead Global HR Operations and Administration Teams (50%)
• Guide the implementation and on-going improvement of clear, standardized, equitable and well-communicated HR core processes (such as hiring, onboarding, termination, performance management). Ensure alignment of policies with Root Capital’s leadership principles and talent philosophy.
• Supervise Regional HR and Administration Managers.
• Develop the HR/Admin team to increase their capacity, empowerment, and level of responsibility.
Total Rewards (Role classification, compensation and benefits)
• Oversee implementation of Root Capital’s compensation philosophy including role classification, annual benchmarking, benefits review, communication, training and leadership of the Compensation Committee.
• Maintain global handbook.
• Ensure that all regions are compliant with local labor laws and requirements.
• Oversee global HRIS
• Ensure a high level of accuracy in reporting.
• Establish and maintain HR technology platform that enables our human capital strategy.
• Ensure that the HR & Administration intranet portal is up to date and reflects our human capital strategy, in coordination with the global HR/Admin team.
• Administer global training platforms including Rosetta Stone and others TBD.
Employee Safety and Security
• Participate in the leadership group that develops Root Capital’s business continuity plan.
• Oversee implementation of global safety and security measures.
• Define and maintain a global approach to the delivery of consistent, effective and service-oriented administration in each office.
Cambridge HR and Administration Management (50%)
Roll out and administer US versions of global policies and practices. Ensure cohesive and energizing Cambridge office culture.
HR and Administration Systems
• Oversee Cambridge HR and Admin systems and processes.
• Manage Cambridge HR and Admin budget.
• Execute Cambridge payroll.
• Administer Cambridge compensation programs.
• Oversee benefits administration and other rewards and recognition.
• Lead Cambridge team- and culture-building initiatives.
• Develop and facilitate Cambridge “Regional” Team.
• Supervise Cambridge Office Administrator and Senior HR Associate.
• Oversee Cambridge recruiting.
• Lead Cambridge performance management processes.
• Maintain US handbook.
• Oversee and ensure compliance with local labor laws and compliance requirements.
• Manage local reporting on US employee data.
Other activities assigned by the Senior Director of Human Resources and Administration.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Formal training in human resources operations and management required.
• Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or closely related field preferred and/or nationally recognized HR certifications, i.e. PHR/SPHR certification preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in multiple HR operational roles, with progressive leadership and demonstrated knowledge of principles, procedures and best practices for effective HR, including recruitment, selection, training classification & compensation, benefits, employee relations, conflict resolution, and HR information systems.
• Minimum of 5 years of management and team leadership experience.
• Deep commitment to the mission of Root Capital and to growing rural prosperity in rural agricultural communities
• Ability to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
• Experience in an international or multi-cultural organization.
• Proven knowledge of U.S. labor law, HR rules & regulations.
• Strong individual and team management skills, including leading multicultural teams.
• Alignment with Root Capital’s leadership principles.
• A highly developed sense of fairness and a commitment to the best ethical standards.
• Cross-cultural adaptability and empathy, with deep experience and appreciation for Latin American and/or African cultures.
• Ability to synthesize, analyze and report on HR data.
• Ability to work full-time and available for emergencies outside of business hours.
• Ability to travel internationally for one week 1-2 times a year.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Spanish and English required.
• Strong analytical, information-gathering, and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated effective leadership and management experience and the ability to motivate and direct a team.
• Flexibility to travel locally and internationally occasionally as needed.
• Experience with ADP is preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Demands: Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “HRDir” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “HRDir – Smith, John”). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital is an equal opportunity employer.