Director of Leadership Development
- Seeds of Peace
- Contact Information
Education: Master of Arts degree in the related field
Location: New York or Jerusalem preferred; other locations possible depending on circumstances
Job Category: Programming
Job Posted: 4/11/16
Area of Focus: Children and Youth, Peace, War, and Conflict Resolution
Since 1993, Seeds of Peace inspires and cultivates new generations of global leaders in communities divided by conflict. We equip them with the skills and relationships they need to accelerate social, economic, and political changes essential for peace.
Our leadership development model begins with a transformational camp session in Maine for exceptional young people and educators living in conflict. The program shifts attitudes and perceptions and builds respect and empathy. Our approach continues through year-round local programs that strengthen relationships and leadership capacities.
We then accelerate the impact of our alumni who are challenging the ideologies, policies, and practices that perpetuate conflict. Our network now encompasses over 6,000 alumni throughout the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, and the United States who are uniquely positioned to lead change.
As a core leader of the programming team, this position is responsible for overseeing our leadership development curriculum for teenagers ages 14-17, executed via our International Camp in Maine each summer and through year-round programming held locally in each participating country. Currently, our model focuses on four capacities that we believe enables youth to become more effective agents for change, capable of transforming conflict within and between their communities: relationships across lines of conflict; a sophisticated understanding of core conflict issues; skills in critical thinking, communications, and changemaking; and the capacity to take effective action.
The Director of Leadership Development is responsible for overseeing Seeds of Peace’s leadership development model and programs, including activities that occur at the International Camp each summer and in local countries throughout the year. S/he will work closely with Director of Global Strategy and Programs to set strategy, and oversee local teams charged with designing and leading programming.
• Help set overall strategy and an annual plan for our youth leadership development program, including building an ecosystem of support through families, schools, and communities
• Work with Camp and regional staff to develop a cohesive program plan—consisting of multinational, binational, and uninational activities—that address the key drivers of conflict and build key leadership capacities over a three year trajectory
• Supervise and manage a diverse team, modeling the kind of cooperation that Seeds of Peace aims to achieve more broadly
• Develop and maintain relationships with partnering organizations, media outlets, local and international donors, US Embassies and key consulates and other relevant stakeholders to bring about meaningful, collaborative approaches to youth leadership development and conflict transformation
• Oversee the development and management of program budgets
• Work with our development team to provide content for donors and ensure timely communication for grant development and reporting
• Engage in ongoing processes to determine effective strategies for organizational growth and professional development for regional staff
• Contribute to the larger discourse and field of conflict transformation and leadership development
• Help execute impact assessments, in concert with our research partners at the University of Chicago
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
• Master of Arts degree in related field
• At least 3 years of work experience
• Experience managing and leading teams
• Expertise in leadership development and program design
• Project management at a high level in a non-profit environment
• Effective communicator at all levels and in all media
• Willingness and ability to travel to the Middle East, South Asia, and United States
• Management of major grants and multi-donor funding sources
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with wide variety of constituents
• Ability to think strategically and cultivate a strong team dynamic
• Capacity to travel to countries throughout the Middle East and South Asia, in addition to the United States
• Creative problem-solving skills
Valued but not required skills and experience:
• Experience working or participating in a summer camp environment
• Experience working with youth
• Familiarity with the Middle East and/or South Asia
• Language skills in Arabic and/or Hebrew
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
To apply, please complete the online application at: https://seedsofpeace.wufoo.com/forms/director-of-leadership-development/
If there are any issues applying via the link, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please indicate that you found this job through Next Billion.
* Only short-listed candidates will be contacted