Director of Marketing and External Relations
- Fairtrade America
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Contact Information
At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change. Fairtrade America works directly with businesses, civil society, and consumers to rebalance the terms and conditions of trade so that farmers and workers globally have the power to grow their businesses and define their futures. As a member of Fairtrade International, Fairtrade America oversees the Fairtrade system within the United States – growing Fairtrade’s market share; increasing consumer demand; representing producer interests; and establishing channels for greater producer investment within the territory.
Fairtrade America is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Director of Marketing and External Relations will design strategies and oversee execution of marketing and partnership efforts to increase consumer awareness of Fairtrade leading to increasing demand for Fairtrade products. Reporting to the COO, the Director of Marketing and External Relations leads a team and will work closely with staff, volunteers and consultant partners to effectively communicate the impact of Fairtrade with broad audiences in order to advance social change, drive awareness, and increase support of the organization and its goals.
Marketing, Public Relations and Partnerships
• Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications, public relations and partnerships program that will drive greater awareness of the FAIRTRADE Mark, consumer demand for Fairtrade products and advance the organization’s mission
• Ensure and expand articulation of organization’s desired image and position, ensure consistent communication of image and position throughout the organization to all internal and external constituencies
• Create and oversee implementation of marketing campaigns with commercial partners, and cause marketing campaigns in collaboration with NGO partners
• React to the needs and opportunities presented by businesses, retailers, NGOs, etc. as required
• Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all organization publications and digital content
• Build media interest in the organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests; act as the organization’s representative with the media
• Ensure that the organization regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity; monitor trends
• Further develop the brand of Fairtrade America as an attractive partner and cause to support in an increasingly cluttered world of partners and causes
• Oversee outreach, collaboration and partnership strategy that builds greater support among key influencers and the public for policies and practices that make trade fair for smallholder farmers and workers
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Requires some travel and work over weekends. May require some work during holidays
Planning, Budgeting and Management
• Responsible for the achievement of the external relations goals and budget objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the COO
• Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the external relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance
• Manage a team of four staff, as well as external agencies as needed
• Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing and external relations functions
• Minimum of 10 years of marketing experience with demonstrated success in the design and execution of cause marketing campaigns in midsized companies/organizations
• Experience in commercial engagement and working with consumer packaged goods
• Proven ability to oversee public relations including media relations, strategic partnerships and events
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Experience developing and managing budgets and hiring, training, developing, managing and appraising staff
• Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
• Graduate degree in a related field
• Experience working with volunteers
• Spanish language proficiency
Salary is commensurate with experience. Fairtrade America offers a strong benefits package.
To apply send salary expectations, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.