Director of Operations
- 50% at our HQ in Nyamata, Rwanda; 50% travel across East Africa
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
We are looking for a dynamic and gritty Director of Operations who is excited to build a fast-growing and high-impact organization alongside a passionate and hard-working team. The Director of Operations would have both a strategy and execution role, would spend significant time both visiting site operations as well as gathering and analyzing operational data in the office, and would be a critical thought partner to the CEO and Board. While not directly in charge of managing day-to-day operations, this person would support country leadership as well as the heads of operations in each country to guide strategy, identify new systems needs, support expansion, and drive global special projects related to operations. We are looking for a leader who can take us to the next level and beyond. The responsibilities would include:
• Continuously improve and implement systems to scale (construction planning, inventory management, supply chain management, quality control management, customer relations management, financial management, etc.)
• Recommend changes business model to fit the context based on field learnings, especially in light of rapid expansion, and see to the execution of those changes
• Identify and implement continuous process efficiency improvements through significant time with customers, sales reps, and masons
• Drive gross margins by both finding areas to cut costs and improve operational efficiency
• Integrate software platforms as appropriate
• Continuously assess and refine incentive systems
• Initiate, manage, and implement strategic special projects (e.g. developing consistent standards for products across countries, managing new product development, etc.)
• Manage research and development agenda to continuously improve floor quality and customer service
• 4 years of work experience, ideally with 2 in management consulting or operations
• Experience with fast-growing social ventures is a plus
• Desire to live, work, and travel around East Africa for several years
• Excellent analytical skills, including Excel modelling and data analysis
• Experience living and working in a developing country, preferably in East Africa
• Strong understanding of accounting, budget management, and financial management
• Hard working and gritty to push through challenges
• Flexible and adaptable to changing environments; thrives in a bootstrapped culture
• Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time
• Maturity and poise under stress
• Passionate about international development and social enterprise
• Entrepreneurial attitude, creative problem solver, patient team-player with a sense of humor
• Graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, etc.) a plus, but not required
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with your name and “Director of Operations” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be the most challenging about it.
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 400,000 square feet of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).