Director of Portfolio Engagement
- Washington D.C.
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Quona Capital is a venture capital firm focused on financial technology for the underbanked. We back innovators enhancing the quality and availability of financial products and services for underserved consumers and enterprises through business model innovation, leveraging technology and a passion for making a positive change in the world. Quona is focused on specific markets in Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, leveraging a strategic relationship with Accion, a global leader in financial inclusion. Quona is the investment manager of the recently launched the Accion Frontier Inclusion Fund (AFIF) and its predecessor, Frontier Investments.
In addition to Accion, AFIF’s investors include global insurance companies, major investment banks, pension funds, university endowments, a global payments company and leading family offices. Quona brings together a diverse team of investment professionals with deep experience in financial services, technology and entrepreneurship. Our team has lived, worked and built companies in both the emerging markets we serve and the developed economies we seek to connect. Our name connects the markets we serve, just as Quona strives to connect financial services and technology, money and meaning, expertise and empathy.
Quona Capital is recruiting an outstanding individual to join our high performance team to develop our portfolio engagement strategy and drive impact. The ideal candidate will help Quona operationalize its value proposition – mobilizing human and financial capital to catalyse growth of our portfolio of Fintech innovators – and solidify its position as the go-to investor for Fintech for the underbanked. You will engage advisors and mentors within the financial technology sector inspired by Quona’s mission to radically enhance the reach and quality of financial services to the underserved in emerging markets.
The Director of Portfolio Engagement will work collaboratively with the Quona team and its portfolio companies to:
(1) unlock new ways to enhance value
(2) measure impact
(3) share learnings.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Portfolio Engagement and Thought Leadership
- Identify and advise on value-enhancing projects for Quona’s portfolio companies globally. Such services could include the development of mentor/advisory networks (see #2), peer-to-peer exchanges, topical working groups, resource tool kits, technical trainings, internships and other talent acquisition.
- Foster knowledge-exchange between portfolio companies (e.g. CEO Forum), Quona, the Accion organization and the industry at large.
- Mobilize resources on behalf of Quona’s portfolio (e.g. venture debt facilities; grant support for innovative projects). Maintain contact database for areas of functional support (e.g. financial advisory services; low-bono legal support).
- Contribute to blogs, articles, social media and other modes of information dissemination to showcase learnings, amplify demonstration effects and build Quona’s brand as a thought leader.
Technical Advisory and Mentor Network
- Coordinate and solidify a mentor/advisory network of Fintech entrepreneurs, domain experts and technical specialists inspired to leverage their skillsets to benefit Quona’s portfolio companies.
- Define engagement model and “levels” of involvement between advisors, mentors and portfolio companies.
- Provide project management support for portfolio company advisors and mentors.
- Outline and execute value proposition for both advisors and mentees.
- Pilot direct interventions scoped to address critical business challenges within specific investees.
- Building upon the thesis that social and financial performance are inextricably linked, implement and report on Quona’s impact framework within the portfolio..
- Collaborate with team responsible for portfolio company KPI collection, analyse data, identify trends and summarize impact results in crisp quantitative and qualitative reports.
These aforementioned activities will be done under the guidance of the Quona partners and in close collaboration with Venture Lab (seed-stage Fintech fund for the underbanked) and other relevant constituents within Accion.
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and proactive and brings relevant domain expertise ideally from having worked in the Fintech space. The role requires strong interpersonal skills, such as an ability to engage senior managers at portfolio companies who are consumed with daily operations, and inspire technical advisors and mentors to get involved. The job also requires disciplined project management, data analytics and reporting skills.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- Five to ten years of experience working with technology or financial services start-ups – or in-depth exposure to the Fintech industry.
- Ability to cultivate deep networks in Fintech sectors such as alternative lending businesses, data-driven credit analysis, digital payments and mobile connectivity as a driver of financial inclusion.
- Strong analytical skills across strategy, finance and/or marketing functions, as well as experience implementing product roll-outs, managing projects and delivering results.
- Deep entrepreneurial spirit, hands-on operating experience in emerging markets (or challenging environments) and a passion for market-based solutions to poverty.
- Ability to thrive in can-do, collaborative, fast-moving environments across multiple geographies – with an eagerness to travel internationally, embracing change and a spirit of adventure.
- Experience living, working or traveling in emerging markets. We particularly welcome candidates from the markets we serve with language skills beyond English.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to engage earn the respect of and influence colleagues, investors, enterprises and other stakeholders.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills across a variety of audiences, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- MBA or relevant advanced degree is a plus.