Director of Research
- US SIF
- Washington DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please send a cover letter, resume and a five¬–ten page publication for which you were the primary or sole author. Email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Director of Research.”
- Where to Apply
US SIF: The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment seeks a Director of Research who has significant experience in the field of sustainable and impact investing.
About US SIF and the US SIF Foundation:
US SIF is the leading voice advancing sustainable and impact investing across all asset classes. US SIF is supported in its work by the US SIF Foundation, a 501(C)(3) organization that undertakes educational, research and programmatic activities to advance the mission of US SIF.
The Director of Research is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. This position has a high public profile and manages critical programs of the US SIF Foundation. The primary responsibilities are to supervise the production and release of all research materials and educational products and play a significant role in writing and editing reports and documents. This position supervises several staff members, including the Manager of Education, Research Manager and the Research and Communications consultant. This position reports to the CEO and participates in the senior management team.
The ideal candidate has significant knowledge of sustainable and impact investing, is an excellent writer and editor and has at least 7 years of experience in a senior research and writing role and at least 5 years supervising staff. The candidate should also have excellent oral communication skills and experience in public speaking and talking with the media.
Detailed Job Responsibilities:
The Director of Research is responsible for duties which include, but are not limited to:
• Manage, with research staff, the setting of an annual strategy and goals for research.
• Research, write and edit reports or supervise the completion of these tasks.
• Manage the production of the biennial Report on US Sustainable and Impact Investing Trends (Trends report), including writing portions of the report.
• Play a key role in securing funding for the Trends report through foundation proposals, drafting sponsor materials, and participating in prospect and follow-up calls and meetings.
• Manage the US SIF Research Committee.
• Supervise the public launch and promotion of research projects, including working with the Events Manager on webinars and in-person events.
• Along with education staff, set annual strategy and goals for education.
• Work with the Education Manager to create new course offerings.
• Supervise updates of existing courses and course materials, including CSRIC™ designation.
Publications and Communications
• Write, review or edit US SIF publications, press releases, op-ed pieces, educational products and other documents for content, accuracy and style in advance of publication or release.
• Engage in public speaking, including on webinars, conferences and with media.
• Supervise the Research Manager, Research and Communications Consultant and Education Manager.
• Participate in monthly meetings of the senior management team.
• Contribute to the creation and implementation of the US SIF Strategic Plan.
A competitive candidate will have the following background, knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Expertise in the field of sustainable and impact investing
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in a senior research and writing role
• Minimum of 5 years of experience supervising and mentoring multiple staff
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to organize and track multiple projects and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Experience in comfortably speaking in public and engaging with journalists
• Creativity, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and a positive attitude
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• 401k plan with employer contributions
• Employer-subsidized health and dental insurance
Salary range is commensurate with experience and non-profit pay scales.
Please send a cover letter, resume and a 5-10 page publication for which you were the primary or sole author. Email materials to email@example.com, using the subject line “Director of Research.”
Final candidates will need to take a writing test. No phone calls, please.
Applications must be received by February 28, 2021, and will be reviewed as they are received.
US SIF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.