Director of Strategic Partnerships
- Student Finance Africa (SFA)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
Loan Officer, Kenya
Company: Student Finance Africa (SFA)
Position: Loan Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: January 2017
Contract: Full Time with 3 month trial period
Compensation: Competitive for startups in East Africa
Student Finance Africa or “SFA” provides affordable tuition loans for higher education to qualified students and a parent/guardian co-borrower. As the first private student loan company in sub-Saharan Africa outside of South Africa, SFA is revolutionizing the industry starting in Kenya.
We believe in the power of tertiary education to transform African economies. Many young Africans face a common challenge; without access to tertiary education or to professional training, they cannot successfully transition from secondary school to productive employment. Fewer than 8% of Africans attend university, often because of inadequate access to education financing. We are changing that dynamic.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
SFA is seeking a dynamic individual with prior experience managing credit portfolios at a commercial bank or MFI to manage a loan portfolio that consists of students (borrowers) and their parents/guardians (co-borrowers), at a leading university in Nairobi, Kenya. As the first Loan Officer for SFA in Kenya, this individual will have a unique opportunity to take ownership of the business unit and shape company policy as well as contribute to the overall strategic direction of the company. As a result, we are seeking a well-rounded mid-career, ambitious and highly proactive professional.
The Loan Officer will manage the communications and servicing of the SFA pilot loan portfolio, including daily interaction with borrowers and co-borrowers to ensure a full understanding of their loan commitment and payment deadlines, and to deliver high-quality customer service.
The ideal candidate has prior experience managing a loan portfolio including assessing client and portfolio risk, managing day-to-day operations of the loan portfolio, and proactively working with clients to ensure timely repayment. The candidate must demonstrate leadership experience in past roles that are indicative of his/her ability to work autonomously and drive business initiatives forward.
Responsibilities of the Loan Officer include:
● Daily management and servicing of a student loan portfolio, including frequent communication with borrowers and co-borrowers
● Working closely with SFA leadership team to design and implement an effective loan collection policy in the context of Kenyan culture and integrate across multiple technology platforms
● Leading all loan recovery efforts, including identifying and contacting a list of delinquent borrowers and co-borrowers on a daily basis to facilitate repayment
● Developing expertise on all SFA terms and policies and delivering exceptional customer service
● Providing weekly updates to SFA leadership on status of the loan portfolio
● Working with SFA leadership to manage relationship with the partner school and build out the loan portfolio
● Working with senior leadership to identify and develop 5 key relationships with domestic universities and/or higher education institutions that will enable SFA to develop additional loan programs in Kenya
● Proactively developing culturally sensitive programs and material that will work effectively in Kenya
The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of professional experience as a credit officer or loan manager at a bank or financial services institution. (S)he will have expertise in designing and/or administering a loan program, including the implementation of effective collection policies. (S)he should have client-facing experience and be effective at communicating with borrowers about loan terms and collection policies. Previous experience leading training sessions, especially in financial education, is a plus. Finally, it is important for the candidate to be familiar with innovations in Fintech, mobile money, and other lending models in Africa.
A strong understanding of Microsoft Applications including Word, PowerPoint and Excel is required. Working knowledge of QuickBooks and/or Zero is helpful but not required. The candidate should be fluent in English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your resume and a detailed cover letter to hireme@studentfinanceafrica.
For more information, please review our website at www.studentfinanceafrica.com.