Director of Technical and Advisory Services, Ultra-Poor Graduation
- BRAC USA
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
About the Position
BRAC seeks to hire a senior-level Director of Technical and Advisory Services to manage a team of development professionals and to oversee and grow BRAC’s suite of advisory services and technical assistance around the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach. Under the general supervision of the Managing Director, s/he is responsible for providing technical leadership and oversight to Graduation programs designed through client engagements with UN agencies, governments, the World Bank, microfinance institutions, and NGOs. S/he will lead a team of program managers and program associates to develop a client acquisition and business development strategy, produce bids and proposals for emerging opportunities, and produce winning deliverables for our clients. This position will be based in New York, and work with staff members across BRAC global operations in New York, London, Bangladesh, and other country offices of BRAC in Asia and Africa. BRAC is recruiting additional positions to expand a global team around the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach.
The Director of Technical and Advisory Services will be responsible for developing and executing the team’s technical advisory services and strategy. Primary responsibilities include:
• Provide strategic vision and leadership to BRAC’s Graduation technical assistance, including a strategy for client acquisition and marketing of advisory services;
• Develop and secure a steady stream of client engagements through varied open procurement processes with government social protection agencies, INGOs, MFIs and multilaterals;
• Manage oversight and technical guidance to staff members and external consultants on technical assistance engagements. This includes coordinating missions and teams producing high-quality technical work products and deliverables for clients such as feasibility reports, market and rapid livelihoods assessments, program design recommendations, program budgets, monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
• Ensure delivery of high quality technical assistance, such as developing quality control measures for externally facing products, internal product ideation and development processes, and new service offerings and strategies;
• Support capacity of technical team through hiring, professional development, and supervising work flow management; and
• Travel extensively, at times in locations with limited amenities.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, evaluation or another related field required;
• At least 10-15 years of experience in livelihoods, social protection and financial inclusion, preferably with a focus on creating economic resilience and food-secure households within vulnerable populations;
• A proven track record in developing successful new client acquisition strategies and delivering quality technical assistance for diverse clients, including UN agencies, governments, the World Bank, microfinance institutions, international NGOs, and others;
• Experience managing projects with a development consulting firm or other international agency, including field work in Africa and Asia, highly preferred;
• Demonstrated success in managing and growing high functioning teams, requiring strong, developed leadership ability, and effective staff management skills; and
• Experience as a technical advisor in curricula development, training and facilitation.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong capacity to build partnerships, analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders, and translate strategic thinking into compelling plan of action;
• Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks, develop innovative approaches, and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions;
• Diplomatic, strong interpersonal skills, and a high degree of cultural sensitivity; and
• Excellent writing and public speaking skills in English required. Fluency in French, Portuguese, Swahili, Arabic, or Bengali a plus.
About the Organization
BRAC is the world’s largest development organization, dedicated to empowering people living in poverty. Working across 11 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 130 million people. Named the World’s Number 1 Ranked NGO in 2016 by NGO Advisor (www.ngoadvisor.net), BRAC uses a wide array of antipoverty tools such as microfinance, education, healthcare, food security programs and more.
In 2002, BRAC pioneered the Ultra Poor Graduation approach, a time-bound and sequenced set of interventions for the most vulnerable and destitute within poor communities. The approach has gained widespread recognition and has been adapted and replicated by non-governmental organizations, governments and microfinance institutions with success measured by rigorous independent evaluations and Randomized Control Trials.
In 2013, BRAC launched the Ultra Poor Graduation Advocacy Initiative. The Initiative aims to catalyze global implementation of the Graduation approach and its adoption across major stakeholders through the following:
• Increased awareness and uptake of the Graduation approach by stakeholders including policymakers, development finance agencies, national governments, NGOs and MFI implementers as a result of global advocacy efforts.
• Effective implementation of the Graduation approach, supported through advisory services, technical assistance, training and knowledge transfer from BRAC’s Targeting the Ultra Poor program to external stakeholders interested in, or currently implementing Graduation approaches.
How to Apply
This is an outstanding opportunity to support a highly-effective nonprofit. BRAC USA will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 401k, and vacation benefits.
BRAC USA is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with state and federal law.
To apply, please visit www.bracusa.org/jobs, and upload your resume, detailed cover letter, references, and salary history.
No calls, emails, visits, or recruiters associated with this position, please.