Director, Planning & Operations
- International Rescue Committee
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Please apply on our website: www.rescue.org
Comprised of three distinct but overlapping functional areas, the department is coherent only in structure. Its identity as the source of thought leadership, profile and policy analysis need to be built and socialized for the 177 staff to reach their potential impact on IRC’s programs. The different parts of the department have grown independently and organically over time. In this context, the Director of Planning and Operations will be the operational lead of the P&P business. Reporting to the SVP and working closely with all P&P senior leaders, this important role will help the SVP create a well- functioning, efficient and results oriented department where people love coming to work.
· Establish, manage and act as decision maker for portfolio and business management processes that allow for data driven decision making in human resource, financial and grants management across $26 million department.
· Create and achieve efficiencies of scale with operational functions currently spread unevenly throughout teams of department, including finance and budgeting, grants management.
· Create and run P&P rhythm of the business – the regular meetings, decisions, and key technical and policy priority setting processes required to bring coherence and coordination to a global department.
· Create and manage effective and lean coordinating mechanisms for currently silo’d teams to drive toward greater performance, focused prioritization and open transparent communication.
· Identify path forward for improved knowledge management within P&P and targeted as well at improving information flow with regional/country teams.
· Support SVP in strategic effort to strengthen relationships, collaboration and prioritization with regional and country leadership, serving as a key partner, relationship builder and leader in Policy & Practice collaboration with IRC’s 34 country offices and regional leaders.
· Act as lead liaison between Policy & Practice and operational leaders at IRC, including departments of CFO and SVP Operations.
· Work with SVP and HR Partner to develop increasingly sophisticated workforce planning across P&P department.
· Supporting the SVP to create and maintain a results-driven, action-oriented and empowering culture where generosity, ideas professional growth and humor flourish
· Plan forward (next 3 years) for how to scale innovations of individual teams for collective benefit (e.g., ICT for P)
· Develop strategies to support positive change management and harness the depth of knowledge and experience of the teams to champion new ways of working together.
· 10-years work experience in relevant roles
· Experience in organizational problem solving, operations, performance management in complex but low resource organizations
· MBA required
· Management consulting or equivalent experience, preferably with pre-existing knowledge or experience in humanitarian/development/nonprofit sector
· Proven track record in successful change management and knowledge of organizational development approaches and practices
· Core competencies in strategic planning, business performance measurement/management, portfolio management and lean business process development
· Strong analytic skills and fluency in financial management
· Rigorous and critical thinker, able to ask probing clear questions and drive toward solutions quickly
· Predisposition toward simple and practical solutions
· Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative, high energy, positive and creative leader
· Excellent written and verbal communication
· Experience in international contexts and other languages than English preferred
Please apply on our website: www.rescue.org