Director, Product Strategy and Commercialization
- International Youth Foundation
- Baltimore, MD
- Contact Information
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The International Youth Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to prepare young men and women around the world to succeed as citizens, employees, entrepreneurs, and change-makers. Believing that educated, employed, and engaged young people possess the power to solve the world’s toughest problems, IYF leads and coordinates activities to harness the talent and potential of the world’s youth, now numbering 1.2 billion. At the heart of its efforts is building partnerships, initiatives, and curricula in the areas of education and employment, entrepreneurship, and social innovation, primarily in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
Since beginning operations in 1990 IYF has worked in more than 70 countries with 475 local partner organizations. It currently has an annual budget of $24 million and 125 staff spread across 15 offices in four continents. Financial support comes from grants and contracts from a diverse range of public and private donors in the United States and abroad (USAID, DFID, SIDA, IDB, MasterCard Foundation, Caterpillar Foundation, Chevron Foundation, and Sylvan/Laureate Foundation) as well as fee-generating products and services such as its Passport to Success® Program (PTS), a globally-recognized life skills curriculum that helps to prepare young people for success in school, at work, and in life. Using a holistic approach that emphasizes life skills in combination with a mix of technical, vocational, and entrepreneurship training, IYF prepares young people to enter the workforce, create their own opportunities, and be agents of change in their communities.
Building on the success of PTS, IYF is also developing a new work readiness assessment and credential with a focus on the non-cognitive skills that are in demand by employers and critical for workplace success.
For more information, please visit http://www.iyfnet.org
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The International Youth Foundation (IYF) is seeking a Director of Product Strategy and Commercialization to lead sales of the PTS life skills curriculum and to manage the commercialization, marketing, and sales of a new work readiness assessment and credential. Reporting to the Executive Vice President of Business Development, the Director will serve as the global business lead of IYF Solutions products, particularly its flagship life skills program, Passport to Success® (PTS). The Director will lead the sale of products to governments, youth development NGOs, businesses, and educational institutions, and will support regional teams in negotiations and securing sales. In addition, the Director will develop a business model for the new work readiness assessment and will lead its subsequent commercialization, marketing, and sales.
This is an ideal opportunity for a proven revenue generator to lead the commercialization, sales strategy, and expansion of a highly effective program and assessment system poised to transform the lives of youth across the globe.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Global Sales Strategy and Implementation
- Develop and implement a global strategy to secure sales of PTS and a new work readiness assessment and credential, drawing on a comprehensive understanding of the key demographics of the prospective customer base and developing an in-depth understanding of the rapidly growing market for both products
- Create pricing models for different markets and types of customers to increase and optimize in-market sales
- Streamline the licensing and/or franchising models and procedures that accompany the sale of PTS to ensure compliance and facilitate sales
- Evaluate competitors in different markets and conduct appropriate business planning
- Assess costs associated with the sales of both products to ensure programs exceed break-even point
- Monitor overall product development and marketing activity, responding quickly and effectively to mitigate potential risks and execute course corrections as necessary
- Develop sales and profit/loss projections and benchmarks for success
- Contribute to the development and execution of marketing plans
- As needed, assess and improve the sales technology platform
New Product Commercialization and Execution of Go-to-Market
- Refine the business plan and execution strategy for the commercialization of a new work readiness assessment test and credential
- Assess the global market for this type of assessment and credential, considering potential demand, pricing models, competitors, market segmentation and business models
- Determine the viability of a franchise or other distributor business model for its commercialization
- Develop full pro forma income statements
- Implement go-to-market strategy, monitoring win/loss statistics, and conducting ongoing profit and loss analysis
- Propose and manage a budget, including incoming revenue and additional staff as needed and justified
- Manage implementation of strategies in partnership with core cross-functional team in the areas of: Content & Training, Partnership Development, Marketing & Communications, Project Operations, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Regional Directors
- Liaise with the finance department to ensure intellectual property and licensing issues are adequately addressed
- Co-create a new organizational culture around product sales and shared value, and share plans and successes with all staff for collaboration
- Coach and support staff to build organizational capacity for sales and marketing of IYF’s core products
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications
- Bachelors’ degree required; MBA/Masters’ Degree preferred
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience working in educational sales, marketing, or business development environment in either a non-profit or corporate setting
- Strong business skills in the areas of financial modeling, sales, and franchise operations
- International experience in business and with educational/training and/or assessment ideal
- Strong entrepreneurial skills and a track record working with successful start-ups a plus
- Robust analytical skills, with a track record of using data to make decisions and conducting complex analyses to drive problem-solving
- Track record of driving effective and inclusive strategic planning processes coupled with strong presentation skills
- Exceptional detail orientation and strong project management skills, with the ability to establish priorities, develop project plans, coordinate diverse stakeholders, and communicate changes and progress
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, establish priorities, and exercise sound judgment in response to complex and sensitive situations
- Strong interpersonal skills, appropriate for operating effectively in a multicultural, international environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required; Foreign language abilities a plus
- Background in or familiarity with soft skill curriculum and programming, and/ or social emotional learning a plus
- Background in or familiarity with educational testing and certification, ideally with experience commercializing new certifications and/or supporting sales of existing professional certifications; knowledge of test development processes and the areas of non-cognitive skills and competency- based training preferred
- Experience with joint ventures between companies or organizations a plus
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time, including international travel
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD. Candidates from other US cities will be considered if they are open to short-term relocation to Baltimore and frequent travel.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1139
International Youth Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.