Director, Sustainable Markets
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- To be considered for this position please go to the Careers section on Rare’s website at www.rare.org and apply online.
Overview of Rare
Rare believes that conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. We are a $24 million fast-growing, international conservation organization with partners in 50+ countries. Rare is committed to finding community-based solutions that provide alternatives to environmentally destructive behaviors and ensure that change is embraced and sustained. Our approach is to train and support local conservation leaders to implement Pride campaigns, which are social marketing campaigns that inspire people to take pride in the species and habitats that make their communities unique.
The Director, Sustainable Markets is responsible for managing the design and implementation of critical interventions for Rare’s sustainable markets work in fisheries, fresh water, and agriculture in a variety of countries throughout the developing world. This position also has an enterprise-wide, global function in developing the required strategies, analytics, and toolkits for our country teams to source and manage market-facing enterprises successfully through to fruition. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following work-streams:
- Build alliances with key private sector actors in the agriculture and fishery value chains to establish productive commercial linkages between small-scale fisher and farming communities with seafood and agricultural processors;
- Develop and manage global and regional advisory bodies of stakeholders representing industry, government, and the NGO sectors to promote and advocate for conditions enabling small and medium enterprise (SME) propagation;
- Oversee in-country staff and consultants to identify emerging opportunities and implement value chain interventions, to improve supply chain management, product quality, and to optimize economic impact on livelihoods and resources sustainability;
- Provide strategic leadership and technical assistance to country operations, financial management and capacity building of local fishing and farming cooperatives;
- Analyze, and manage investment opportunities for development and strengthening local small and medium-sized enterprises by sourcing innovative business approaches and providing management capacity; ensuring due diligence on potential equity or debt investments in existing enterprises or start-ups;
- Analyze innovative financial mechanisms to infuse capital into Rare’s sustainable markets work, such as Social Impact Bonds, Green Bonds, and crowd funding; and
- Liaise with private sector partners and financial institutions to incorporate investment and financial expertise into the relevant mechanisms.
Experience and Education
The ideal candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial, and high-energy, with the ability to work productively with Wall Street top level financiers as well as local, in-country community leaders. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized a strong communicator with impeccable writing skills. Demonstrated success in managing a variety of high-impact initiatives from concept through completion with explicit outcomes and strong project management skills are prerequisites for success in this role. Other qualifications include:
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience creating viable business opportunities, value chain development, marketing and export promotion, private enterprise development, or the provision of investment products;
- Strong finance background and economic data modeling skills;
- Knowledge of current environmental and sustainability issues, SME development, supply chains, micro-finance and investment products, as well as experience in the developing world;
- Exceptional stakeholder engagement, communications and influencing skills; ability to operate and communicate effectively in cross-cultural environment;
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic entrepreneurial context; agility to respond to emerging business opportunities;
- Ability to travel for up to 35%;
- BS/BA required; MBA or relevant Master’s degree preferred; and
- Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Tagalog, and/or Bahasa Indonesia language skills a plus.