Donor Communications Writer
- Living Goods
- Flexible; preferably based in Washington, D.C., New York City, or elsewhere on the East Coast
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply via our Careers Page: https://livinggoods.applytojob.com/apply/X9JJMwALjR/Writer-Donor-Communications
- Where to Apply
Location: Flexible; preferably based in Washington, D.C., New York City, or elsewhere on the East Coast
Type: Full-time, primarily remote
Experience: 1-3 years
About Living Goods:
Living Goods is a leading community health non-profit organization headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and Kampala, Uganda, with smaller offices in Washington, D.C., and San Francisco. We support networks of trusted community health workers (CHWs) to transform health outcomes for women and children and work to advance system change by partnering with governments to sustainably lead. We focus on ensuring CHWs are treated as essential health workers who are digitized, equipped, supervised, and compensated—so they can make the greatest impact—and on harnessing community-level data to transform health systems. We seek to treat some of the deadliest but most easily preventable childhood diseases, reach women of reproductive age with pregnancy support and family planning, and ensure that every child is fully vaccinated.
Living Goods’ work has been validated by best in-class researchers and endorsed by top industry leaders. A 2014 randomized controlled trial in Uganda showed that Living Goods-supported CHWs reduced under-5 mortality by 27%. Over the past five years, we have won a Skoll Award, received landmark growth funding from the prestigious Audacious Project, and, most recently, became the 2021 third-place winner of the Trinity Challenge. GiveWell and The Life You Can Save have respectively named Living Goods a standout and recommended charity, and we possess top ratings from Charity Navigator and Impact Matters.
Living Goods is seeking a highly capable and motivated writer to support our business development team. As we continue to grow in impact and scale, we must raise an ambitious amount of funding. Doing so requires developing a variety of high-quality written materials for our donor audiences.
This position is for a talented writer with excellent critical thinking skills and a passion for communicating complicated ideas in a simple way. You will be responsible for developing products ranging from detailed, data-rich impact reports for our existing funding partners to well-designed, creative one-pagers aimed at inspiring new prospects. You will edit teammates’ work and be a resource to help others become stronger storytellers.
Prior experience with donor writing is not required in this role; being a structured and inspiring prose writer, capable of synthesizing large amounts of information, and highly analytical are the most important prerequisites. This person must be able to step back, understand our programs and needs, and write a strategic appeal that is well-tailored to the opportunity at hand. This position would receive in-depth exposure to our field programs to help build understanding of our operations.
This role is an exciting opportunity to develop a wealth of writing experience and to team up with healthcare and data experts across countries, while working for an organization that is extending access to lifesaving healthcare services for millions of people. We will also work collaboratively with you to identify projects that you can own and be passionate about.
• Write high-quality funder reports, concept notes, and proposals for grants. Living Goods works hard to provide funding partners with compelling, accurate, and transparent reports about our impact. We also tailor our language to each audience. Our funders are sophisticated and detail-oriented, which makes proposals dynamic and interesting. We also have an increasing need for short, punchy, and visual materials that tell our story creatively.
• Manage our database of frequently used language and keep it regularly updated. This is a critical tool for the team and requires the ability to synthesize and wordsmith large amounts of text. Similarly, you will be responsible for maintaining our smaller citation database with up-to-date research and statistics.
• Provide ad hoc writing and editing support. While this role will primarily support the business development team, you will have opportunities to work on additional communications and strategic materials that align with your areas of interest and desired growth.
• Superb writing skills. This position requires communicating complex ideas in simple, clear, error-free prose. You also must have excellent analytical and critical thinking abilities. We want to hire someone who will truly understand our operations and be able to write about them effectively.
• 1-3 years of writing experience preferred, with a university degree in English, Communications, Journalism, International Development, or a healthcare-related field.
• Strong editing and researching skills. You will provide team members with editing support to prepare their work for external audiences. We also make heavy use of data and research; an ideal candidate is comfortable with both.
• Conscientious. We want to hire someone who is organized, can manage his or her own projects, and has very high standards for the quality of their work.
• Genuine interest in healthcare. We are seeking someone who can be truly passionate about supporting frontline health workers to deliver lifesaving healthcare services.
• Strong interpersonal skills. We are looking for professionals with good humor, a humble approach to service, and the cultural sensitivities to work effectively across international teams.
• Graphic design experience is a plus.
This position provides a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and an annual performance-based bonus pay opportunity.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.
Want to learn more?