East Africa Associate Fellow 2016
- I-DEV International
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
I-DEV’s Associate Fellowship program provides candidates with a high volume, hands on experience in emerging markets business strategy and venture capital. Associates participating in the program will be based in I-DEV’s Africa headquarters in Nairobi, which in 2015 was ranked in the top 5 most active and dynamic hubs of entrepreneurship and venture capital investing globally. You will have the opportunity to work with I-DEV’s local and global management as a key member of deal teams on live strategy and financing engagements and can expect significant client interaction as well as travel throughout the continent. As such, there will be considerable exposure to both “in-field” consulting and strategy projects working directly with local SMEs and social enterprises on growth strategy and operational performance improvement engagements, as well as VC investment transaction structuring and capital raises with I-DEV’s Investment Advisory team. I-DEV’s recent work in Africa includes:
• Sole Lead Advisor for ~$1.5M Series A convertible preferred shares for Pan-African B2B M-Commerce platform
• Sole Lead Advisor for ~$4M debt & equity raise for leading branded W. African juice and flavored water company
• Supermarket retail strategy & joint venture partnership development for highest quality beef company in E. Africa
• Exit strategy for global VC from best-in-class East African social and market research firm
• Public-private partnership development and strengthening for Mogadishu Sanitation Department & Mayor’s Office
• E. African market entry and penetration strategy for leading high-tech domestic appliance manufacturer
QUALIFICATIONS & SELECTION CRITERIA:
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
• Prior relevant experience working in finance, investment banking, VC/PE, and/or strategy consulting
• Strong business analysis and financial modeling/valuation skills
• Ability to thrive in fast-paced, entrepreneurial and unstructured work environment and organizational culture
The interview process will test strong candidates on critical thinking, financial modeling, business skills, and general fit with I-DEV’s organizational culture. All candidates should be self-starters who are comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and be independent, out-of-the-box thinkers who are also comfortable representing I-DEV International and its mission in a professional setting (as there will be significant client exposure).
COMPENSATION & POST-ASSOCIATE FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
Associate Training Program/Trial Period: I-DEV sees the Associate Fellows program as an excellent way to identify, train and work with top-quality talent. While a position with I-DEV following the program is not guaranteed, I-DEV does hire 100% of its Associates from the Associate Fellows program. A post-program position at I-DEV will be dependent on the right fit related to relevant skill set and capabilities, organizational culture, and I-DEV’s specific staff requirements. Regardless of opportunities within the firm following the program’s 4 month period, I-DEV is committed to ensuring the program helps Associate Fellows develop a deep network of local and international contacts as well as a sound understanding of emerging markets business and finance as well as the local VC, impact investing and social enterprise sectors. During the program, I-DEV’s management will work with each Associate Fellow to identify the best positions and organizations for them, their skills and career interests. I-DEV’s deep network has led to successful past placement of I-DEV Associate Fellows in impact funds, social enterprises and other relevant parties. I-DEV Associate Fellows have also gone on to start their own enterprises, building on the experience, exposure and network afforded to them by the Associate Fellowship.
Compensation: During the program, I-DEV will provide Associate Fellows with a housing allowance and modest stipend appropriate for the local context and cost of living. Associate Fellows will also be provided with global health and property insurance during the program (if needed) and will reimburse them for any work related travel and expenses. If needed, I-DEV will provide Associate Fellows with a cell phone and laptop.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a resume with Subject Title “East Africa Associate Fellow 2016” to email@example.com.
The rolling application process is effective immediately.