East Africa MEL Adviser (Kenya)
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
This regional role will provide technical assistance, systems development and capacity building across TechnoServe’s East Africa portfolio. Its purpose is to ensure that the foundational building blocks for effective monitoring evaluation and learning (MEL) are in place within program, country and regional teams. The primary internal ‘customers’ for this position include program managers and country directors. A high level of collaboration is expected with MEL staff in TechnoServe’s HQ, and the backstopping and program development teams. Soft skills, including the ability to influence and build capacity, are as important to the success of this role as quantitative and analytical skills.
The primary responsibility of the East Africa MEL Adviser is to ensure the availability of timely, high-quality data and analysis to enable evidence-based programmatic decision-making. The MEL Adviser may also be asked to contribute to program development efforts by designing theories of change and logical frameworks; and to identify, synthesize and share learning from across programs. Substantial collaboration with HQ and other experts is expected on evaluation efforts.
As East Africa MEL Adviser you will:
– Systematically improve the structures, processes, and resources that enable application of good MEL practices
– Build the capacity of MEL and other program staff to deliver user-friendly data and analysis
– Lead and deliver, on an as-needed basis, MEL outputs for specific country programs facilitate and/or support high-quality program evaluations
Expected results include improved quality and consistency across East Africa programs of the following:
Performance monitoring plans for new projects
Analysis and insight generation
You will have:
-A bachelor’s degree in relevant field, such as economics, business administration, statistics or other and
-A minimum of 7 years of experience designing, managing and implementing multidisciplinary and results-based M&E systems in an international context
-Gender integration experience is an added advantage OR a master\’s degree and 5 years of experience
– Experience with a range of M&E methodologies and sound understanding of quantitative and qualitative research approaches with the ability to analyze and interpret data from various sources
– Ability to measure performance in a business setting as well as in nonprofit settings
– Proven ability to translate evaluation research and methodological issues for colleagues/customers with non-research backgrounds, and to translate research and evaluation data into accessible formats for non-research audiences
– Hands-on training/capacity-building experience, including independent development of high-quality relevant training materials, as well as delivering actual training sessions
– Experience working with USAID and DFID preferred and knowledge of their reporting procedures, best practices, guidelines, and tools for M&E
– Outstanding written and oral communication skills and a demonstrated track record of producing high quality, well-written deliverables
– Demonstrated ability to effectively manage projects, including staffing, work plans, deliverables, timelines and budgets
– Demonstrated ability to coordinate and communicate effectively and diplomatically with a range of external and internal colleagues including donors, partners and senior and junior team members
– Willingness to travel domestically and internationally 30-50% of the time
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Click “Apply Now” to complete a short application and upload your resume and cover letter. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.