Educate! – Grants & Operations Associate
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
“Fuel your career and a fast-growing social enterprise driving large-scale impact in African education.”
Educate!, a fast-growing non-profit social enterprise, is looking for a Grants and Operations Associate to help our team and organization get to the next level. We are scaling rapidly and are creating this dynamic new role to take on big areas of responsibility as our team’s needs expand.
As the Grants and Operations Associate, you’ll use and develop a wide range of skills as you take on our largest grant proposals and most complex reporting, finance responsibilities, fundraising strategy, and strategic projects. It will be a great launching point for someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of how a best-in-class fundraising team operates.
You are a rockstar implementer and systems-builder with an exceptional eye for detail, a strong sense of professional judgment and responsibility, comfort with numbers, and solid writing skills.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Our proven model provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness – along with sophisticated mentorship – to start real businesses at school. To affect communities at scale, we deliver this practical, skills-based model as part of national education systems.
In 2016 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and 12% of secondary schools in Uganda (350 schools) reaching over 120,000 students. Our vision is to reach one million students annually across 10 countries in Africa by 2024.
• Educate! has partnered with Ugandan and Rwandan governments to integrate our curriculum nationally.
• Our measured impact shows Educate! graduates earn double the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation.
• Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
• We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund.
• Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
Grant Writing and Reporting (45%)
Educate!’s revenue has grown steadily year on year, in large part due to our strength at crafting strong proposals for major grants. We want someone who can jump in, learn quickly, and swiftly begin leading proposal writing projects. You will:
+ Work closely with the Director of External Relations on our largest grant proposals to run smooth processes and produce high-quality documents that tell a compelling, accurate, and detailed story of our impact, mission, and vision for the future.
+ Support the Director of External Relations to fulfill our most complex reporting requirements, especially financial reporting, and create systems to improve the efficiency of our reporting as our impact and reporting responsibilities scale
+ Within six months, take the leading role in major grants and reports
US Finance and Operations Support (25%)
As Educate! scales our impact, we’re also scaling the complexity of the operations to support it. We now are in four countries, and we are shaping today the systems that will allow us to function smoothly. You will:
• Become comfortable with our finance system, supporting the Director of External Relations on quarterly financial closes, the annual audit, and other finance-related projects
• Support the team in creating and implementing new HR and Talent systems
• After a year, be able to independently take the lead on managing the external accountant and bookkeeper
Fundraising Strategy & Donor Relations Support (15%)
How we build relationships with and earn investment from individuals and foundations is the most critical factor for how much impact we can create. You will:
• Create systems to implement our long-term fundraising strategy and move us more quickly towards our revenue targets
• Use good judgment and creativity to communicate with donors in clear and engaging ways that help them understand and enjoy Educate!’s work
• Within six months, be a primary contact for some top prospects and be contributing insights to our fundraising strategy
Strategic Executive Projects (15%)
The External Relations team is growing, but we still embrace our start-up culture! As part of Educate!’s Global Team, you’ll support the entire 10+ person External Relations team in the US and Africa and our international leadership team on communications, fundraising, US operations, and other projects as needed. Examples from the past have included:
• Strengthening recruitment practices and building our talent pipeline in the US and Africa
• Diving into the nitty-gritty of organizational management by researching and drafting internal policies in areas like international travel, health insurance, and document management
• Creating an external document demonstrating our strength in the area of empowering girls and women
WHAT YOU BRING
• At least 3 years of relevant experience required
• Demonstrated experience managing projects. You are comfortable planning and keeping on target a large project with many moving pieces and a large team behind it. This could be any project that took a lot of time, organization, attention to detail, and perseverance to get done (events, research project, reports, etc).
• No sector-specific experience necessary. Fundraising experience helpful but not required.
• Detail oriented, ease with numbers (no relevant experience required), and strong writing skills
• A practical get-it-done attitude, openness to feedback, and ambition to learn and grow
• A two-year commitment is ideal to meet full potential professional growth at Educate!Fits our Five Cultural Tenets; Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here – http://www.experienceeducate.
• Salary is commensurate with experience
• Benefits include a generous health insurance policy, cell phone bill contributions, 403(b) retirement savings account, and a generous leave policy.
• Educate!’s NY office is currently located in the Techstars space in midtown Manhattan. Our office policy includes flexibility for remote work in the mornings.
WANT TO EXPLORE THIS OPPORTUNITY?
Begin the application process to the role of Grants & Operations Associate at Educate! through this link here – http://app.rework.jobs/jobs/72. Simply dropping your resume to indicate your interest in this opportunity, and complete the simple application to tell us a bit more about your story. We will follow up to learn more about your career goals and qualifications if you meet the experience required for the role.
The review will occur on a rolling basis. We will reach out to candidates, either way, shortly after you apply. Please give us 2 weeks post your application date.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.