External Engagement Manager
- Emerging Public Leaders
- Washington DC (strongly preferred) ; other U.S. cities on a case-by-case basis
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Mariam Badi
Emerging Public Leaders (EPL) is focused on increasing capacity of sustainable leadership in African governments through an innovative model that attracts and selects motivated and high-achieving young Africans into civil service. EPL’s long-term vision is to inspire meritocratic leadership, increase the civil service’s prestige within the government and ultimately bridge the capacity gap in civil service in Africa. EPL provides young professionals with skills based training, mentorship, and placement opportunities in their countries’ government ministries and agencies to ensure meaningful career pathways in civil service.
In 2009, EPL launched its flagship program, the President’s Young Professionals Program (PYPP) in Liberia. The program was launched by H.E. President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and has become one of Africa’s most competitive programs for leadership in public service. More than 140 fellows were recruited, trained and mentored and the majority continue to serve in the Liberian government. Today, our vision is to adapt and replicate the model to build a network of +500 Pan African public service leaders. Earlier this year, EPL launched its second program in Ghana with plans to enter additional countries such as Cote d’Ivoire and Kenya. EPL also seeks to build cross network collaboration and learning, facilitate ongoing career development, and contribute to the growing body of advocacy and evidence in this space.
The External Engagement Manager will be responsible for shaping the development of EPL’s external engagement strategy. The Manager will be working closely with EPL’s Leadership Team on setting and delivering the objectives to enable EPL to achieve its branding, marketing and communications, and resource mobilization goals while simultaneously enhancing the visibility and reputation of its country programs.
This position will report to EPL’s Executive Director while working closely with EPL’s Founder and Chair. Please note that this role will commence as a 3-month consultancy with the potential to extend the engagement based on successful delivery of results and funding.
Partnerships and Strategic Engagement
– Create an organization wide communications strategy to enable EPL’s Leadership + Board to further cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences for the purpose of building country partnerships, expanding financial support and adding to global discussion on government capacity and leadership.
– Develop and implement an integrated marketing / branding strategy that fully aligns with and strengthen EPL’s reputation and country program expansion efforts, with targeted outreach
Seek and identify global influencers who can serve as ambassadors for EPL in reaching out to external stakeholders
– Work with EPL team and development consultant to finalise EPL’s resource mobilization strategy, with a focus on foundations, governments, and corporations
– Be responsible for the execution of resource mobilization activities, including proposals, relationship management with current and prospective donors
– Ensure resource mobilization strategy is closely coordinated with EPL’s communications activities
Executive Leadership Event and Outreach Support
– Identify regional and international events for EPL’s Executive Leadership that offer opportunities for networking and external engagement
– Support Executive Leadership\’s relationship management efforts with donors and high level government officials
– Exercise judgement to prioritize Executive Leadership’s media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials, as needed
Outreach, Internal + External Communications
– Organize and facilitate events, meetings, conferences, and other events, as requested
– Oversee and manage the design, layout, and accuracy of EPL’s various publications as well as website
– Develop and oversee effective social and multimedia strategy across channels
Country Program Relations
– Work with EPL’s Executive Director + country team to identify communications challenges and emerging issues faced by EPL’s country programs
– Recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support country team
Experience & Qualifications
We are looking for an exceptional communications professional with a track record of success, passion for effecting change, and commitment to public service.
– Master’s degree in Political Science / Communications / Public Affairs/ Journalism or similar field
– Minimum 5 years’ experience in, and a track record of, strategic external engagement in the private and/or public sector, including experience in developing countries and government
– Ability to build productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
– A track record of managing or leading resource mobilization programs
– Strategic thinker, entrepreneurial spirit + willingness to do what it takes to “get the job done”
– Ability to travel, both regionally and internationally, if needed
– Experience working/living in West Africa a plus
– Fluent in English (required) and French (preferred)
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: External Engagement Manager. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP, and no later than May 4th, 2018.
Emerging Public Leaders provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.