Fellow – Farmer Engagement for Social Enterprise in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership, Clinton Foundation
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Reporting/Supervisor: General Manager/Pilot Manager
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Contract: 6-Month Fellowship
Travel: Up to 50% local travel
I. Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership & Supply Chain Enterprise Background:
President Clinton established the Clinton Foundation in 2002 with the mission to strengthen the capacity of people throughout the world to meet the challenges of global interdependence. The Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership (“CGEP”) is one of 11 initiatives of the Clinton Foundation and develops social enterprises in Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia, and Africa in an innovative approach to poverty alleviation.
The mission of CGEP consists in creating for-profit impact enterprises that address gaps in value chains that have the potential of connecting vulnerable communities with markets, offering sustainable opportunities for income generation and job creation. CGEP’s supply chain enterprises provide training, inputs, working capital, and logistics solutions to smallholder farmers, procure their produce, and sell to quality buyers.
In Indonesia, CGEP is piloting two supply chain and trading enterprises targeting two distinct crops – coconut sugar and black soy bean. If successful, the pilots will result in the incorporation of two social enterprises that will scale to support and impact thousands of smallholder livelihoods throughout the country.
II. Position Description
The farmer engagement fellow is responsible for all aspects of farmer recruitment, extension, contracting, credit packages and data management to achieve pilot objectives. The ideal start date is January 11, 2016. Compensation will be a modest monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
III. Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
• Structure farmer recruitment and deployment of training programs based on farmer needs and field team availability;
• Evaluate farmer needs, synthesize available best practices and develop basic training modules and deploy training activities for pilot training programs;
• Review proposed credit and contracting packages and provide recommendations to reduce risk, increase return and simplify overall program management;
• Propose design of simple lending or contracting management system to organize grower credit history, current activity, limits, etc;
• Create credit and contracting internal rules and policies to govern all lending activities;
• Review and improve all credit, consignment and contracting documents and develop tools for staff, farmers and entrepreneurs to maximize repayment rates;
• Determine optimal contract structure for all contractors (depot managers, tractor service providers, fungicide sprayers, etc);
• Analyze cash flow and overall lending needs, business unit and overall credit program and determine potential roles of lending partners;
• Train field staff on all current and new credit offerings and contracting schemes;
• Develop tools for field staff to train farmers on specific credit, consignment and contracting schemes;
• Collate data and review progress on production, cashflow and lending activities with the Operations Manager on weekly basis;
• Assist General Manager with development of reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders, e.g., buyers, investors and donors;
• Work on special projects as assigned.
IV. Education, Work Experience & Languages
• A Bachelor’s degree major course work in business, economics, agriculture or public administration, or a related field (MBA or Master’s degree preferred);
• Three (3) years minimum experience managing teams in agribusiness, business or related fields in Indonesia or other developing economies;
• Specialized and advanced knowledge of agriculture or agribusiness;
• MS Office applications, particularly as related to database structure and data collection, reporting methods, statistical analysis and data management;
• Experience with FarmForce or other farmer network platforms a plus;
• Oral and written fluency in English (fluency in Indonesian Bahasa a strong plus).
Interested applicants should send their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line \”Fellow – Farmer Engagement in Indonesia\”
Interested applicants should send their resumes to email@example.com with the subject line "Fellow – Farmer Engagement in Indonesia"