Field Operations Manager
- Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel within the region
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Company and Position Description:
Sauti, meaning voice in Swahili, is a mobile-based social accountability and trade information platform for SMEs engaged in cross-border trade in the East African Community. Our mission is to empower cross-border traders to exercise their rights as citizens of the EAC – able to trade profitably, safely and legally across borders and advocate for their rights. Our value proposition is twofold: firstly, through our mobile-based platform traders will be able to access tailored information on documentation, taxes and tariffs applicable to their products, as well as market and exchange rate information and regular updates on changes to border procedures; secondly, traders can use our platform to easily and anonymously report instances of bribery and harassment at border crossings.
With these two services we want to enhance transparency and accountability of intra-regional trade transactions through improved information channels. We work closely with civil society organisations to use data collected through our platform for evidence-based advocacy at community, national and regional levels. We are an award winning social venture that has received seed funding under the prestigious D-Prize Challenge for innovative distribution solutions to poverty alleviation and was awarded the 2016 London School of Economics Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award. We are currently piloting our platform at two major border crossings in East Africa, with the goal of servicing the whole East African Community within two years. You can read more about our model here: www.sautiafrica.org.
We’re seeking an early-career professional with 2+ years work experience to join our entrepreneurial team in a role that combines both field and management experience. The successful candidate will be a key partner to the CEO, COO and CTO of the company and will play a critical role in growing our social venture. Your time will be split between overseeing field operations, including community engagement and the design, validation, marketing and evaluation of our mobile platform, and general project management tasks such as partner engagement, financial management, business administration, communications etc.
We offer flexible work schedules and leadership opportunities in an entrepreneurial team culture. Your will play a strategic role in helping to grow an award-winning social enterprise that is poised for rapid scale up. We offer a modest initial compensation package with growth potential.
Detailed Job Description:
- Ensure daily coordination between the CEO, COO and CTO to ensure that concerns are effectively communicated between parties and productive collaboration is maintained.
- Conduct effective monitoring of field activities provide routine updates and detailed reports on field activities to the CEO and COO
- Provide technical support in planning and implementing field activities at the border points in East Africa
- Provide support and leadership in running field pilot activities, monitoring progress and improvements and working collaboratively with the core team in developing efficient strategic approaches to launching Sauti.
- Work closely with the core team in strategically planning, designing and managing operational activities that will contribute to the effective expansion of the organization
- Manage and maintain strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders including local government authorities, CSOs, border officials and other implementing partners to facilitate the implementation of Sauti’s field activities
- Write up comprehensive field reports with feedback analysis on implementation progress, emerging findings, challenges etc
- Work collaboratively with the COO and CEO in developing efficient monitoring and evaluation systems for field projects
- Contribute to project development by developing logical frameworks, field workplans, GANTT charts etc.
- Assist in preparing field budgets, tracking and overseeing expenditures related to field implementation activities
- As needed, organize and conduct capacity-building and training workshops to support and strengthen the organization’s objectives.
Full-time job, with flexible working hours. Looking for long-term commitment.
We are seeking an early-career professional with 2+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Masters degree in international development, economics or social sciences. We will also accept applications from candidates with a Bachelors degree, as long as they have additional years of work experience.
- 2+ years experience as an international development professional in an entrepreneurial role combining field operations, project management and community engagement within a private sector or a non-profit environment. The ideal candidate will have at least 1 year demonstrated experience working in East Africa.
- Experience in running qualitative and quantitative data collection field project is an added plus
- Knowledge and conceptual grasp of issues relating to trade, entrepreneurship, social accountability and gender in East Africa is a plus
- A well-rounded individual and good self-starter, able to work independently, multi-task and solve complex problems.
- Collaborative, adaptable and proactive working style, using innovative, strategic and intuitive way of thinking.
- Looking for a passionate individual who combines strong leadership and management skills with good humour and patience.
Language: English and Swahili are required.
Preference will be given to East African citizens.
Please send your CV and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions regarding the application please don’t hesitate to contact us via the same email. The deadline for the application is 24th of July 2016.