Finance & Accounting Executive
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your application by filling the online form and attaching your CV/resume.
- Where to Apply
Oorja is seeking a self-directed Finance & Accounting Executive who is a qualified Chartered Accountant with 4-5 years’ experience to manage the daily financial and accounting activities of a dynamic and fast-growing organisation. The primary focus will be to support Oorja’s senior management by providing financial, accounting and administrative services in accordance with company policies and procedures and government regulations, in order to ensure effective, efficient and accurate financial and administrative operations. You will be responsible for financial analysis and reporting, bookkeeping, cash flow management, regulatory compliances and administrative support tasks. The ideal candidate is driven, organized, dependable and technology savvy.
You are a finance wizard that always wanted to work for a startup in the cleantech and agritech sectors and are keen to join an incredible, friendly and passionate team. Together with the CEO you will drive the path of growth, assist with fundraising, report financial KPIs to their donors and investors and determine the financial strategy and controls. You know their runway, support the development of new business cases, check all significant investment decisions and structure the finance department.
Accounting & Financial Management
• Evaluating current financial and accounting processes and systems; strengthening accounting practices and developing financial procedures and reporting tools to mitigate financial risk in all business decisions and activities
• Support with financial planning including modelling and projections to be investment ready for the next funding round
• Migrating from Excel based accounting to a software (QuickBooks); coding income and expenses in QuickBooks
• Basic accounting and bookkeeping; processing and monitoring accounts payable and receivable; performing cash and bank reconciliations; ensuring all accounting entries and transactions are correct and up to date across all project sites and headquarter
• Preparation, review and analysis of financial statements (balance sheet, income and cash flow statements) in consultation and coordination with the company’s external auditor
• Cash flow forecasting and cash management (general and projects); assessing working capital needs and maintaining a monthly cash flow tracker
• Compiling monthly revenue collection, expense and progress reports from project sites
• Preparation and analysis of annual and monthly organisational and project budgets; ensuring efficient fund utilisation to achieve set targets
• Conducting ratio and trend analysis and its diagrammatical representation for reporting; P&L analysis (budgeted vs actual)
• Maintaining banking relationships, managing cheque and cash deposits and withdrawals
Compliance, Tax & Audit
• Responsible for timely financial, tax and legal compliance with MCA, ROC, RBI, etc., including filing of financial statements, returns and other forms as per Companies Act, RBI and FEMA guidelines and other applicable government regulations
• Support with tax planning to ensure the business is as tax-efficient as possible
• Working with the Chartered Accountant to determine company’s tax position; calculating and depositing all direct and indirect tax payments (GST, TDS, Advance Tax, etc.); providing timely information for seeking GST reimbursements
• Coordinating and supporting the external audit firm with the year-end statutory audit process; preparing and reviewing audit financials, schedules, notes to accounts; resolving audit queries
• Implementation of effective and robust internal controls and risk management process
Payroll, Documentation & Reporting
• Processing payroll and business and travel expense reimbursement claims of staff; calculate employee salaries, deductions and increments and assist in issuing of salary related letters
• Maintain all personnel records including tracking leave taken by staff
• Ensuring all labour laws and mandatory government payments (PF, ESIC, etc.) are complied with
• Preparing and presenting various types of monthly, quarterly, and annual MIS (business and financial performance) reports on cash flow, working capital, project revenues and costs, etc. to the management
• Monitor timely and effective utilisation of project budgets and preparation and submission of utilisation certificates and other financial documents as required by donor agencies
• Creating and maintaining filing and archiving systems for corporate records, documents, reports and files; ensuring effective financial and administrative data management systems
Vendor, Contract & Asset Management
• Preparation and submission of procurement initiation documents such as POs followed by the appropriate action
• Invoice/bill/receipt tracking and verification and settlement of supplier payments
• Following up with vendors/suppliers and transport companies for timely delivery of goods to project sites; keeping track of product and equipment warranties
• Preparation, review and maintenance of vendor, customer, employee, insurance, rent lease and other contracts, policies and agreements; providing timely alert submission of expiration and renewals; payment of monthly/quarterly/annual rents for office, warehouse and project sites and renewal of insurance (asset, D&O and other)
• Accounting and management of inventory of assets and stocks at project sites and headquarter; facilitate physical verification of assets and stocks
• Development and maintenance of database of all suppliers, customers and partners
• Organisation of internal employee trainings, workshops, board and business meetings, etc.
• Travel arrangements for staff including booking of hotels, flights, trains, local conveyance, etc.
• Supervision of maintenance of office space and procurement of stationery
• Receiving mail, documents and ordered items delivered to the office
• Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the management
Qualifications, Competencies & Skills
• Master’s degree in accounting, commerce, financial management or a related field; advanced degree of Chartered Accountancy, Company Secretary, MBA in Finance a plus
• Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in financial management, accounting and general administration in a similar position
• Outstanding knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, company affairs, taxation, payroll, banking and relevant regulatory framework and statutory compliances
• Proficiency with computers (MS Word, Excel) and accounting software (QuickBooks); experience in handling of other web-based management systems a plus
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills; capabilities in financial modelling and projections preferred
• Proven track record in delivering results under tight timelines and minimal supervision
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills; good command of both English and Hindi required
• Extraordinary attention to detail, highly organised and efficient; ability to handle multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities
• Self-confident, mature, autonomous and reliable with a high degree of integrity
• Interest in the Energy and Agriculture sectors and experience with another development sector organisation will be an advantage
As the Finance & Accounting Executive, you will gain:
• Experience and significant responsibility at an award-winning company in the renewable energy and agritech industries, among of the fastest growing segments of the Indian economy
• Ability to shape and positively impact the company growth path
• A deep understanding of the solar and rural development space, particularly the decentralised renewable energy industry
• Knowledge that you are positively contributing to environmental and social impact every day in your work.
Oorja (www.oorjasolutions.org) is a venture-backed, award-winning clean energy company based in New Delhi, tackling some of the most pressing challenges in the off-grid energy sector today: renewable energy expansion and energy poverty.
Oorja’s focus is on powering beneficial appliances that help users to generate stable incomes, create jobs, and mitigate carbon emissions. Despite urgent need, around 90% of marginal farmers cannot afford to invest in solar technology for their farms. Oorja wants to close this gap. They install, operate and maintain decentralised solar energy systems for community use and sell irrigation, milling and refrigeration as affordable services on a pay-per-use basis to marginal farmers, without any upfront cost to them. They operate in rural areas of northern India where farmers are currently reliant on polluting and expensive diesel motors for their energy needs.
Their core strengths are their inclusive, customer-centred business model and a diverse and driven team with shared passion for sustainable development. We are determined to scale up access to essential services among marginalised communities.
Equal Opportunities and Non-Discrimination Statement
Oorja Development Solutions India Private Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to religion, race, caste, gender, place of birth, sexual orientation, marital status or disability status. Oorja endeavours to provide a safe, diverse and comfortable workplace. Oorja will not adversely discriminate, and prohibits other adverse discrimination at the workplace, against any person on its premises, whether that person is in its employment or otherwise. If you can contribute to their organisation, you are welcome, regardless of your roots, religion, age or gender.