Finance & Business Development Fellow
- Meds & Food for Kids
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK), a registered NGO and 501c3 nonprofit, has an immediate opening for a fellowship position in Finance and Business Development at its facility in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
MFK offers the opportunity to share your skills and gain first-hand experience working in international development for a dynamic young social enterprise. This position is based in Haiti. MFK requires a 12-month commitment working with majority Haitian staff as well as North American and European staff.
While the Cap-Haitien area is relatively quiet and peaceful, it is still underdeveloped. It challenges staff in many regards: emotionally, socially, and professionally. This job is challenging, but it is also rewarding. The fellow will be a vital, indispensable member of the MFK team in its mission to make life-saving RUTF, and other fortified nutritional products available to children and other vulnerable populations in Haiti. The fellow will live with other MFK staff in a secure apartment complex. S/he will be welcomed in group activities (e.g., trips to the beach, mountains, historical monuments, etc.)
The fellowship covers travel to and from Haiti, generous vacation time, housing, health and medical evacuation insurance, and daily transportation to and from the MFK facility. A small, monthly stipend covers food and personal items.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Financial Management
• Collaborate closely with accountant in USA, bookkeeper in Haiti and Country Director in Haiti regarding the financials of MFK.
• Develop annual budget in partnership with management team and accountant in USA; improve accuracy of financial forecasting and track performance relative to budget through the year.
• Collaborate with accountant in USA and bookkeeper in Haiti to complete audit of current fiscal year.
• Assist with developing budgets for grants proposals, and related subsequent financial reporting.
• Mentorship and training of local staff in finance processes and other finance tasks as appropriate
o Collaborating with Haitian staff for financial record keeping and financial planning.
o Mentoring and enabling bookkeeper in Haiti to take charge of the next Haiti audit.
2. Financial Planning and Analysis
• Analyze financial performance, conduct budget variance analysis and identify financial risks.
• Develop metrics scorecard in conjunction with Manufacturing Director to allow senior management to better monitor efficiency and productivity.
• Financial modeling including sensitivity and scenario analysis to inform strategic decisions of MFK around pricing of new and existing products, capital requirements, growth plans and new initiatives.
3. Business Development
• Coordinate market analysis and customer research to identify viable new product opportunities.
• In conjunction with management, develop a sales, marketing and distribution strategy for new products.
• In conjunction with management, develop a sales and relationship management strategy for existing products.
• Contribute to relationship management tools for deepening impact on foreign and Haiti-based partners in relation to product development, sales and MFK representation.
• Develop business case and investment pitch materials as required.
• Duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Deputy Director, such as contract negotiations, alternate legal structures for the organization and support of onboarding of the new Assistant Deputy Director.
• Bachelors of Science or Bachelors of Arts in business, accounting, economics or related field; Masters degree preferred;
• Minimum two years business work experience; experience with business aspects of nonprofits or social enterprises preferred;
• Experience with financial forecasting, budgeting, new product development, and strategic planning;
• Experience working and living in the developing world;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French; knowledge of Haitian Creole a plus.
Reporting and being responsible to Lauren Plummer, MFK Deputy Director.