- American Refugee Committee
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
POSITION TITLE: Finance Controller
DEPARTMENT OR COUNTRY PROGRAM: Sudan
RESPONSIBLE TO: Country Director
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: Finance Team
DATE: November 2016
DEPARTMENT/COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) Sudan Program started in 2004 in response to the emergency needs of some 500,000 conflict-affected IDPs and host populations in the Tulus and Gereida corridors in South Darfur. ARC currently works in El Salam, Tullus, Gereida, Bielel and Dismu Districts in South Darfur State including two large IDP camps (Kalma and Gereida Camps). Although South Darfur remains the largest component of our country program, in 2014, ARC expanded its program in East Darfur State to include Adilla, Yassin, and Abu Karynka, Asalaya and El Ferdous localities, including El Neem IDP camp. ARC works mainly in the sectors of Health, Nutrition, WASH with smaller project in emergency NFI distribution to IDPs, as well as more recovery programs in Peace Building and Food Security and Livelihoods. The overall aim of the program continues to be: to improve the well-being of the target populations by addressing their immediate humanitarian needs and contributing to long-term community stabilization.
Major donors include USAID (OFDA), CHF (pooled humanitarian funds), UN funding from UNFPA, UNICEF, WHO, WFP and private funding. ARC Sudan’s program has an annual budget of between $US 9-12million, with 12 expatriates and over 700+ national staff, some of whom are seconded from the line Ministries of the Sudan government.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of financial management in the Country Office (CO). This position is seen as a strategic partner, member of the Senior Management/Leadership Team of the CO, with a focus on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data, analysis and advices, as well as developing financial strategy that best serves the CO strategic and program objectives. Responsible for the finance staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, risk management, and utilization and safe guarding of assets according to ARC approved policies and procedures. This position is based in the capital Khartoum but requires periodic supervisory visits to the field offices in South and East Darfur.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT – 40%
• Manage day-to-day accounting functions including regular cash verification, bank and balance sheet accounts reconciliations, monthly closing, timely submission of financial report to headquarters (HQ), donors etc.
• Complete monthly balance sheet and intercompany reviews and reconciliations.
• Promptly respond to HQ finance queries including Intercompany charges.
• Update the financial compliance dashboard monthly, note and address any significant variances.
• Monitor grant spending through production of monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) analysis and ensure program teams explain significant variances and propose corrective measures.
REPORTING AND BUDGETING – 20%
• Monthly closing, timely submission of financial reports to ARC HQ, donors, etc.
• Ensure on-time monthly submission to ARC HQ.
• Prepare timely budgets, cash requests and accounting reports.
• Monitor grant spending and projections.
• Assist in preparation of budgets for all proposals, including accurate support of budget narratives.
• Support program teams to accurately realign budgets whenever necessary.
• Provide regular and timely budget reports and analysis to the Country Director and field program managers.
• In coordination with HQ, lead the production of ARC North Sudan annual budgets.
• Support the Country Director to produce and update donor matrixes.
• Liaise with donors on finance and budget issues as required.
STAFF MANAGEMENT– 15%
• Supervise finance staff. This includes ensuring they are properly trained and know what performance expectations are.
• Carryout staff appraisals for finance staff.
• Organize and lead orientation and training session related to finance.
• Travel to the field as required ensuring systems are properly followed.
AUDIT AND INTERNAL CONTROLS– 15%
• Implement and administer ARC systems for internal control, compliance, and accounting data processing and financial reporting functions in accordance with donor regulations.
• Maintain up-to-date, accurate accounting system, including: computer data entry and paper file system.
• Ensure local taxation law requirements are fully complied with.
• Other appropriate duties as assigned by the Country Director or HQ CFO.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• At least 5 years overseas experience in finance/management for an international NGO, preferably in programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings. Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience.
• Bachelors degree required in Finance, Accounting, or related field; advanced degree preferred.
• Experience with international donors and grant requirements.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft software products: Excel, Word, outlook etc and accounting software. Serenic or Sun experience strongly preferred.
• Prior training experience desired.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as leadership skills.
• Sense of humor and good interpersonal skills.
• Fluency in Arabic strong preferred.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
• Ability to work with a team in an intense environment.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
American Refugee Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. American Refugee Committee complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
To apply – https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oETb4fww&s=NextBillion