Finance Manager, Lean Data
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Lean Data team at Acumen Fund is looking for an experienced finance manager to join our team as we spin out Lean Data into a new entity. Lean Data was created at Acumen, an impact investor that supports early-stage entrepreneurs who are fighting the root causes of poverty and is in the process of transitioning to an independent entity.
This a unique opportunity for someone looking to help build and operationalize the financial infrastructure of a new, fast-growing, global organization that is revolutionizing how the world measures social impact.
About Lean Data
Lean Data was developed at Acumen to address the measurement needs for its $100M+ patient capital investment portfolio. Lean Data is a low-cost, high speed, end-to-end customer insights and data collection service that has revolutionized the field of social impact measurement. Since 2014, Lean Data has completed more than 300 projects, gathering feedback and social outcomes data from more than 75,000 low-income customers across 33 countries, working with Acumen investees as well as with leading organizations like Omidyar Network, DFID, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $111 million in 104 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
Reporting to the Lean Data Director of Finance, the Finance Manager will play a key role in creating, operationalizing, and maintaining a robust financial infrastructure in a growing, global organization, and will collaborate closely with administrative and programmatic team members working in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, and Kenya.
The ideal candidate for this role will work closely with our global finance team and the operational teams to deliver all aspects of financial support and administrative coordination for Lean Data’s East Africa office. As part of a small and rapidly growing team, s/he will be comfortable with both bigger picture financial management and detail-oriented “sweating the small stuff”, and will identify opportunities for continuous improvement in financial systems and procedures to better execute the work of the organization. Rather than relishing doing one type of work and reluctantly doing the other just because it has to get done, the ideal candidate will appreciate that doing all the myriad responsibilities well yields a stronger and more efficient overall system and will relish rolling up her/his sleeves.
Duties & Responsibilities
Work closely with the Director of Finance and Director of Operations to support the entity set up, operationalize the East Africa entity, and set up local financial systems and procedures
Transition all operational finance processes from Acumen to the new entity
• Liaise with the Director of Finance and global finance team in matters concerning operating cash requirements
• Manage accounts payable and general ledger for East Africa
• Check and verify vendor invoices for approval and input in accounts payable for payment on a daily basis
• Check and verify employee expense reports for receipts and approval and input in accounts payable for payment
• Manage East Africa office payroll, including remuneration, bonus accruals, benefits payments, and tax withholding calculations
• Manage vendor relationships and maintain complete files for vendors and researchers
• Prepare a trial balance to facilitate a timely close at designated intervals (either monthly or quarterly)
• Maintain budget and reporting at designated intervals and report on actual vs budgeted expenditure
• Manage relationship with local banking institutions
Audit & Compliance
• Work with Blue Marble local payroll counterparts to reconcile payroll in the general ledger and prepare required tax filings
• Interface with tax consultants as needed and ensure that the organization is in compliance with local tax obligations
• Ensure that the office complies with all business permits and other local government by-laws
• Manage and complete any other statutory compliance activities, including statutory audits and tax audits; contribute to preparation and completion of company’s global audit
• Oversee general administrative functions of the East Africa office
• Manage office lease terms, negotiations and support
• Take up other related duties and responsibilities as needed to support our programs and organizations
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar field required; qualified CPA preferred
• At least 4 years of relevant professional experience
• Experience in a start-up environment strongly preferred
• Experience with a global, multi-geography organization preferred
• Proven track record of successful execution of financial management, with attention to detail, trustworthiness and timely completion of duties
• Deep and nuanced understanding of basic accounting principles and their applications
• Fluency in MS Office; specifically, expertise in Excel and proficiency in Word and PowerPoint
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Excellent project management and systems-building skills
• Consistent accuracy in all tasks large and small, with enthusiastic attention to detail
• Ability to work efficiently, intensely, and juggle multiple priorities within an entrepreneurial environment where meeting deadlines is expected and comfort with ambiguity is essential
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. Permanent authorization to work in Kenya is required.
Please note that the selected candidate will initially be hired by Acumen, and the contract will be transitioned to the new independent entity on or about April 2019.
Compensation for this role is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Candidates for the Finance Manager, East Africa position are asked to submit a cover letter and resume at the link below. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; deadline to app