Finance Manager & Strategist
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- For questions: Please email email@example.com
If you would like to apply for this job, please visit this page: http://bit.ly/1GE8lv5
Application Deadline: Monday, July 20th, at midnight EST
Ashoka is the world’s leading association of social entrepreneurs, with over 3,000 Ashoka Fellows in more than 80 countries. Over the last 30 years, the field and profession of Social Entrepreneurship has grown into a global force. Now Ashoka is setting out to change the frame again, towards a world where every person has the skills, confidence and societal support to make positive change.
In today´s historical moment of accelerating change, Leading Social Entrepreneurs are not only leading social systemic changes through their innovations, but are driving major social shifts through the principles of new leadership, teamwork and collaboration.
The Venture and Fellowship team leads the search, selection and lifetime engagement of Ashoka Fellows across the world. The Ashoka Fellowship is a network of innovators and trusted peers committed to drive large-scale systemic change and paradigm shifts through their innovations and their new leadership, teamwork and collaborative entrepreneurship.
Ashoka hires people who have been starting and transforming things all their lives, whether that’s a large company, a local movement, or departmental change management. We have a compelling opportunity for doers and changemakers who are passionate about spotting new ideas, identifying opportunities for collaboration, building entrepreneurial teams, and curating networks.
AT – A – GLANCE:
- Based in Washington, DC
- 400+ staff across 40+ offices worldwide
- Has elected and supported over 3000 Ashoka Fellows in over 80 countries
- Joining a hard-working, closely-knit team that works with Ashoka’s “core” program, Global Venture and Fellowship
ABOUT THE ROLE: FINANCE MANAGER & STRATEGIST
The Global Venture/Fellowship team at Ashoka lies at the heart of what we do: source, select, and support social entrepreneurs. As a member of this core team, you will maintain the fiscal health of the entire Venture/Fellowship program, ensuring funding is allocated correctly to these inspiring entrepreneurs worldwide. You will report to the Program Director and will be responsible for the development, implementation, improvement, and maintenance of the Venture/Fellowship Program’s financial strategies, operations, systems, policies and procedures.
While you might not have a CPA, you have excellent accounting knowledge and have a track record of successfully managing global budgets. You will utilize your cross-cultural interpersonal skillsets and experience to work with our global team to manage the budgets for our direct programs and sub-programs.
By successfully managing our financial health, you will directly contribute to the sustainability of our Fellows and to providing systems-changing social impact throughout the world.
HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE ROLE…
Meaningful work gives you the opportunity to fulfill a Legacy, gain greater Mastery, and achieve Freedom.
The Outcomes From Your Work in this Role
· You will directly ensure the fiscal support of social entrepreneurs changing global systems (Fellows include Wendy Kopp from Teach for America, Jimmy Wales from Wikipedia, and Hayrettin Karaca, who is credited with starting the environmental movement in Europe. Mohammed Yunus of Grameen Bank is a member of Ashoka’s Global Academy).
· You will work alongside coworkers in more than 40 countries who have been political leaders, founders, CEO’s, teachers, organizers and activists, all passionate about changing the world through innovative solutions.
· You will work in the headquarters of a global organization, implementing policies and procedures that will affect each of our global offices worldwide, and the social entrepreneurs in that country.
How This Role Will Help You Develop as a Professional
· You will increase your ability to communicate internally and cross-culturally, practicing empathy while working to compromise on effective solutions to internal issues.
· You will deepen your financial and accounting skills, becoming more familiar with local economies as you streamline funding to entrepreneurs in over 80 countries.
· You will learn to prioritize important projects while also remaining nimble and flexible – no two days are the same!
· You will work closely with a team of dedicated staff, practicing management skills while also forming important relationships with more senior colleagues around the world.
The Tangible and Intangible Perks and Benefits of This Role
· You will join the team at a time of new growth and reformation, allowing you to create new parts of your role.
· You will have full ownership over your work, including how and when it gets done.
· You will have the opportunity to work remotely as needed to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
· You will receive a compensation package that includes health, dental and vision coverage, and a
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE…
· Oversee all Venture & Fellowship finances and coordinate with the Global Finance department to carry out, develop and improve finance operations and processes.
· Train country office staff in financial best practices and assist program head with managing the team’s equity, mentorship and professional development.
Financial Accounting and Budgeting
· Track, evaluate, and manage global program expenses and cash flow.
· Collaborate with global offices to create, maintain, and manage country budgets and grants.
· Produce financial/budget reports and give presentations as required by funders and senior leadership.
· Conduct research and gather data in response to inquiries from internal and external engagements.
· Contribute to the development of Venture/Fellowship’s strategies, annual target management, and global program integration under supervision of the program director.
· Contribute to global fund-raising engagements.
WHO YOU ARE …
- A Financial Expert – You bring 5+ years of experience in finance, financial management, economics, business, accounting, or related fields. You bring excellent knowledge and experience in accounting, although you might not have a CPA.
- A Creative Problem Solver – You are industrious. You are incessantly inquisitive and you love to creatively tackle a problem – big or small and can think through all the nuances required to ensure seamless implementation.
- A Process Developer – You bring order and understanding to complex topics. You have a strong ability to develop new, or refine existing, processes and systems to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- An Excel Guru – You love a great spreadsheet. You’re exceptionally detail oriented and organized, and can get lost for hours in a world of numbers. By nature you are very analytical, and you enjoy dissecting and making sense of large sums of data.
- A Passionate Culture Fit – You are passionate and committed to social change. You’re known for your strong moral character and interpersonal skills, and you have excellent cross-cultural sensitivities, especially when it comes to financial knowledge.
- A Strategic Juggler – You’re able to juggle multiple tasks at once because you have exceptional project management skills. You think strategically, handle ambiguity, and love to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment. Prioritizing and time management is your forte and you can re-prioritize on the fly.
- Bonus if you are an MBA graduate.
HOW WILL WE KNOW YOU’RE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE ROLE?
Please complete the following application. Priority will be given to those applications submitted by 11:59pm EST on July 13, 2015. These short-answer questions are designed to replace a cover letter, please take your time with them and copy in your answers from a separate document.
If you are chosen as a finalist, you will first be interviewed by ReWork and then by Ashoka leadership. The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm details of your work history and performance.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE SELECTED?
You’ll be invited to join our growing team in Washington, DC. You’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your application!