Finance & Operations Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
myAgro is an award-winning, start-up social enterprise working in Mali and Senegal, West Africa. Our mission is to help small-scale farmers move out of poverty by providing certified seed and fertilizer, technical assistance and market access to farmers via a mobile layaway payment system. We’ve grown from 240 farmers in 2013 to over 10,000 this year. Our dream is to build a model of savings layaway in Mali and Senegal that can be adopted by other organizations to serve over a million farmers throughout the world.
About this Role:
myAgro is seeking an entrepreneurial and fast-learning individual with strong interpersonal skills, a knack for building effective processes, and confidence mastering new software and working with numbers. The Finance & Operations Associate will primarily be responsible for developing the human-facing financial systems and operational processes that will allow myAgro’s finance team to grow smoothly and operate efficiently as the organization expands to support tens of thousands more farmers in the coming years. The Finance & Operations Associate will also perform analytical projects to improve the long-term financial sustainability of our programs.
Experience in financial accounting is a plus, but is not essential for this role: more important is your ability to develop effective systems and work with a diverse team.
Sample projects might include:
• Develop systems and processes to ensure accounting is easily and accurately performed by a diverse team. For example:
• Develop a process for accurately entering large volumes of paper-based records (from the field team) into digital format (such as Quickbooks); train and manage the team responsible for this work
• Develop workplans and standard checklists to be used by administrative assistants across our zones, ensuring financial information is consistently and accurately reported as we scale
• Develop trainings for local staff to strengthen their capacity as middle and senior managers, e.g. in Excel, financial analysis, process development, and reporting
• Analyze financial and program data to make recommendations on how we can increase our financial self-sufficiency in the coming years.
• Work cross-functionally on analytic projects to improve our mobile layaway system, e.g. auditing and revenue reconciliation processes; assessing the impact of various farmer incentives on organizational goals.
• Develop budgets for our field districts; implement processes to enable district leaders to easily manage & receive financial reports
• Develop and implement quality assurance and financial auditing systems
• Assist the Director of Finance on accounting, financial reporting, and other projects as needed
This is a career-track position with potential to develop into a leadership role in operations, logistics, finance, or program management. This is an exciting period of growth for myAgro and the Finance & Operations Associate will play a critical role in developing and strengthening the financial systems of this young but fast-growing social enterprise.
• English and French proficiency required.
• 2-5+ years work experience, with experience in developing countries strongly preferred
• A track record of developing effective processes: You see the big picture and how parts fit together, but also have a keen attention to detail. You foresee possible obstacles in advance, and develop simple and intuitive solutions.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills: You are a strong oral and written communicator; you are comfortable working with a diverse team; you are an empathetic teacher and coach.
• Strong quantitative and computer skills: You get excited when you discover a handy new Excel function; you enjoy the challenge of learning new software and finding the story behind a set of numbers or data.
• Exceptional project management: You thrive in managing multiple ongoing projects and prioritizing goals. You problem-solve for both big picture challenges and day-to-day issues.
• Entrepreneurial attitude, and flexible and adaptive work style: You thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing startup environment.
• Commitment to myAgro’s mission: You are driven by our mission and approach to helping small farmers move out of poverty.
• Compensation is competitive with other early-stage social enterprises
• Round-trip flights between West Africa and your home (1 in your first year, 2 each following year)
• Travel and emergency medical insurance
• Flexible work schedule and generous vacation benefits
• Stipend for language lessons (French refresher, or Bambara or Wolof)
• Tons of karmic good – you will be directly helping families move beyond subsistence farming
Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of the West African diaspora; returned Peace Corp Volunteers; and alumni of fellowships such as Kiva, Acumen and Global Health Corps are especially encouraged to apply!
More information about working at myAgro can be found at: www.myagro.org/get-involved/join-our-team