Finance Senior Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen is looking for a dynamic problem-solver to join our global finance team, based in the New York office. This is an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with an understanding of both non-profit accounting and a familiarization with debt and equity investments, strong technical skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $101 million in 92 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit CompaniesFinance Team
The Finance Team is headed by a CFO working alongside a four-person NY team and involves coordination with local Finance team members. The Finance Senior Associate will report directly to the Controller and will work closely with the overall team. Acumen has a $17.3M global operating expense budget and a multi-million annual investing target. The organization is growing, highly solvent with a strong balance sheet.
Who You Are
You are a financial professional committed to work-product excellence with an energetic approach towards accomplishing tasks. You are passionate about tackling poverty with a fascination for financial instruments that offer creative solutions to assisting development entrepreneurs. You enjoy working across Acumen’s teams particularly with the fundraising and portfolio groups and have an ability to build relationships and trust by having a solutions-oriented mindset.
This role masters traditional accounting functions that are the core of every successful finance team. Your experience allows you be a self-starter in this regard, while still benefiting from the direction and guidance needed to work up the learning curve within this functional area under the mentorship of outstanding professionals.
General Accounting Functions
- Manage the global month-end close process per the Finance team’s checklist.
- Reconcile and confirm revenue transactions initiated by the development department while resolving any discrepancies with the development team.
- Liaise with portfolio team to manage investment activities – disbursements, interest income, principal payments, etc.
- Prepare and post payroll, benefits and other overhead allocation entries.
- Prepare and reconcile banking activities wires, inter-bank account transfers, bank fees, etc.
- Coordinate quarterly receivables for the country offices including alignment with country counterparties.
- Maintain General Ledger integrity and determine changes/needs to keep up with organizational growth
- Analyze balance sheet accounts and resolve outstanding issues on a quarterly basis
- Set up and approve bank remittances such as wire transfers for programmatic activities.
- Check periodic banking activity online for incoming wires and contributions.
- Maintain financial information in the portfolio management database (Efront): Generate quarterly loan invoices, email invoices to investees and coordinate follow-through with country-based portfolio relationship managers.
- Monitor Investment Committee approvals and activity.
- Maintain portfolio investment schedule tracking cash-flow for all capital, dividend and interest transactions.
- Assist with the annual audit by preparing supporting schedules in time for the audit commencement.
- Gather data and prepare supporting schedules for the IRS Form 990 filing.
- Support FP&A Manager on annual budgeting process and other reporting needs
Qualifications & Characteristics
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA or partial work towards CPA a plus
- 3-6 years’ experience, with a minimum of 2-3 years in the Finance/Accounting function of an organization or audit firm in general ledger, financial reporting and bank reconciliation areas
- Strong command of accounting theory and practice; knowledge of NetSuite a plus
- Advanced Microsoft Excel spreadsheet skills
- Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability work with minimum supervision, should be a problem solver and must be able to complete assigned tasks on time
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits
Please submit a resume and responses to the following questions here: http://bit.ly/1YSJlv4
- If you were looking to donate money to Acumen as a potential donor, what would be five key
aspects on Acumen’s Consolidated Financial Statements you would pay close attention to, and
why? You can view our consolidated financial statements here: http://bit.ly/1NHsBqf (MAX:
- What are the 1-2 aspects of this role that are most exciting to you? Why? (MAX: 150 words)
- Finance and accounting are core functions in any business or non-profit. Why do you want to do
this work for Acumen? (MAX: 150 words)