Financial Planning and Analysis Manager
- Root Capital
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Financial Planning & Analysis Manager contributes in four key areas. First, the position manages the organization’s budgeting systems, policies, and processes and works with department and program budget mangers to create and monitor the annual operating budget. Second, the position leads analysis and production of reports related to departmental and programmatic operating expenses. Third, the position works with the Investor Relations team to prepare all donor budgets and spending plans that specify the use of restricted donor funds. Fourth, the position will manage the development and reporting on program and department key performance indicators.
Working with Root Capital:
Our team members work hard to tackle the challenges inherent in changing the world for the better, so we strive to cultivate an environment in which it feels great to work. In addition to salary, health insurance, and a generous vacation package, anyone working for Root Capital can expect to enjoy the following:
• Diverse and dynamic team: with staff based in the United States, Latin America, East Africa, and West Africa, our team is highly collaborative, and we regularly consult with one another to gain expertise or a new perspective.
• Flexibility: once a week, avoid the commute and join your team from the comfort of your home via videoconference.
• Wellness: work for an organization that cares about the whole you. Both offices contain showers and changing rooms, so you can bike to work, take a fitness class near the office, or go for a jog during lunch.
• Dress: dress in the way that makes you feel most productive. From business casual to jeans.
• Coffee: Did we mention the coffee? We take it very seriously; it’s high quality and always available!
Mission and History of Root Capital:
Root Capital serves agricultural enterprises in Africa, Latin America, and Indonesia by providing the capital and training that help them realize their potential and become local engines of impact. Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often thousands, of farmers. Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $1 billion in credit to over 600 small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital envisions a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya. Root Capital is comprised of hard-working people from across the globe who believe in the transformative power of business to enable rural families to thrive.
Department & Program Budget Management
• Lead the ongoing management of Root Capital’s operating budget, including the coordination of the development of department budgets during the annual and quarterly planning processes and the monitoring of monthly expenditures against budgets to ensure reasonable cost control.
• Establish clear policies and procedures for management of shared expense, capital, and fringe benefits budgets, and provide training and support to managers of those budgets as needed.
• Produce long-term operating expense projections on a periodic basis, in conjunction with program staff.
• Serve as system administrator for Root Capital’s budget management and reporting system, which is build using the Adaptive Insights software platform, including system maintenance and enhancements. Provide ongoing training and support to department budget managers regarding use of Adaptive Insights.
Donor Budgeting & Restricted Grant Releases
• Work with program managers and Investor Relations staff in preparing and/or advising on proposal or project budgets. Review budgets for all new funding proposals.
• Manage contribution revenue analysis, including the development and production of recurring metric reports on the current and long-term performance of Root Capital’s contribution revenue fundraising efforts.
• Review monthly releases of temporarily restricted revenue for grants and ensure that these are appropriately managed.
• Manage the creation and maintenance of donor budgets in Adaptive Insights and deliver donor spending reports for grant managers
Operating Expense Analysis & Reporting
• Ensure organizational spending is in compliance with current the budget and spending policies, and propose improved policies regarding spending guidelines, cost savings, and cost allocation.
• Produce analysis and reports on operating expenses to internal and external stakeholders, including contributing content to board presentations, internal financial reports, and presentations for senior management and Board of Directors.
• Provide budget vs. actual reports to department budget managers, managers of shared expense budgets, and senior program staff on a monthly basis.
• Collaborate with program managers to develop, monitor and report on cost efficiency metrics for Root Capital’s core programs, including cost-per-loan analysis and cost per financial advisory training analysis.
Production and Analysis of Key Performance Indicators
• Work with Advisory Services Team on the continuing analysis of the program’s economics, including determining the cost of service delivery by client type, product and region.
• Determine appropriate key performance indicators (KPI’s) for the Advise, Catalyze and Operating Platform programs and establish system of data collection, analysis, peer benchmarking and internal reporting on these metrics.
Other responsibilities as assigned
• Perform other ad-hoc analyses or projects as requested by the Senior Director of Finance and Chief Financial Officer.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting Business Administration or related field required
• MBA or other relevant Master’s Degree preferred
• Minimum of 5 years in the field of finance, commercial lending or international nonprofit financial management
• Proven track record of planning and coordinating complex projects, including managing tasks independently.
• Strong writing, editing, and communication skills, including the ability to present complex quantitative data effectively.
• Has an orientation to excellence and strong attention to detail.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
• Experience working with Intacct, Adaptive Planning or Salesforce software packages a plus.
• Experience interfacing with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and constantly evolving work environment.
• Passion for Root Capital’s mission of environmentally and socially responsible investing.
• Proficiency in Spanish is highly desirable.
Commensurate with experience.
Applications and Nominations
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent “jobs+FPA@rootcapital.org”. Please type “FPA” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “FPA – Smith, John”). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital is an equal opportunity employer.