Gender and Social Inclusion Research Associate
- Value for Women
- Home based, preferably in East Africa, India or Southeast Asia
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Key responsibilities include:
- Research support on gender and social inclusion projects (focused on small and medium enterprises in the clean energy, finance and mobility sectors; gender and markets based livelihoods and entrepreneurship for women). This includes:
- Support on design of research frameworks and design tools for interviews and focus groups
- Desk -based literature reviews, data collection and analysis
- Field work in India, East Africa (possibly in March, April) to gather data
- Support to training and capacity building projects
- Support to design of trainings
- Possible co-facilitation of trainings in SE Asia and East Africa
- Writing, editing, reviewing documents and providing feedback
- Evaluation, learning and communications
- Support organisational monitoring, learning and evaluation efforts (internal and on projects for partner organizations)
- Social media and other VFW brand visibility and dissemination of research products, as well as engagement with Value for Women partners
- Organizational learning
- Active participation in internal organizational meetings, activities and processes (ongoing). This will include efficient planning and delivery on agreed upon monthly work plans each week
Qualifications and competencies:
Ideal candidates will have a combination of the following experience and qualifications:
- University education in sociology, anthropology, gender, business, finance or economics. Experience in research methods, data analysis and academic writing
- Experience in the small and growing business and impact investment sector in emerging and developing country contexts
- Awareness of gender and social inclusion, equal opportunities and practical knowledge as to how to apply these concepts in business, agriculture and-or value chains
- Knowledge and practical experience in gender and economic development
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken, in English (other languages an asset)
Ideal candidates will have the following competencies:
- Ability to stay organized and motivated working as part of a remote international team
- Attention to detail and a team player
- Use of project management tools
- Uphold the principles of trust, equality of opportunities, transparency and collaboration
- Engage with and grow existing and potential partner relations, and participate in capacity development and leadership building activities
- Positive attitude and optimism about the role of small and growing businesses in generating positive social impact
A work plan will be developed within the first 3 days of every month, and agreed with Manager, and will focus on key deliverables. The associate will use project management systems (i.e., Zoho or other) to track progress each month on work plans and to report monthly progress.
The consultant will cover all costs incurred related to this role, such as computer, tablet, telephone and other regular office expenses. Previously agreed travel to carry out assignments, as well as any additional expenses agreed upon will be covered by Value for Women. The consultant is expected to contribute to any relevant taxes as per national law in their country of residence.
If you are an interested candidate, you should send us your CV, along with a cover letter outlining why you are interested in working with Value for Women, and what you will bring to the team no later than Saturday June 10. Write to email@example.com with “Research Associate” in the subject line.
Value for Women (VFW) is a UK-based, global social enterprise that brings together a multi-disciplinary team of researchers, business experts and gender specialists to provide research and capacity-building that supports gender equity, women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship in the SME/SGB sector, in business models, value chains and business operations.
Value for Women creates research, tools and training so that more women can participate in equal conditions in enterprises and value chains. We believe women are key drivers of economic and social growth. We identify and test new solutions for women’s empowerment and gender and social inclusion within income generating activities.
Value for Women has worked in over 25 countries in Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America. Our partners include development finance institutions, foundations, commercial banks, impact investors and INGOs. Our team operates out of London, Canada, United States, Mexico, Nicaragua, Kenya, Argentina and India. Check out v4w.org, or follow us on Twitter @valueforwomen.