Gender & Business Expert of South East Asia
- Value for Women
- South East Asia
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gender & Business Expert SE Asia Role” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is January 10th, 2021.
- Where to Apply
Terms of Reference: Gender & Business Expert South East Asia
Location: Home-based consultancy in South East Asia with national and international travel, pending global health situation.
Period of association: February 1, 2021 (or before). 12-month contract with an initial 3-month trial period. Extension possible.
Reports to: Director of Programmes
Others reporting to this consultant: 2 to 3 team members, including the following: Project Managers, Research Assistants, Gender and Business Specialists
Equipment and desk expenses: All Value for Women team members work remotely and from home. Value for Women is a fully -distributed organization. The team is expected to provide, and are responsible for, their own laptops and cell phone equipment; as well as all regular expenses required to do their work from home.
What the job is, in sum:
This invitation to join their global team at Value for Women will focus on driving the implementation of a portfolio of consulting projects and learning initiatives. The ideal person will be an expert problem solver who is quick to adapt and be flexible to changing realities. They will be a solid communicator, an innovative thinker and have soft-skills for people- management. They will be able to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders; including groups of investors and asset holders as well as beneficiary populations. The ability to quickly understand their core business model and the service
offering of their organization is essential, as key to bring in new partnerships and projects that align with their mission. Their team works best with people who interact positively, who are results-based, entrepreneurial and client-centred.
More about who Value for Women is:
Value for Women (VFW) is a global social enterprise that works closely with partners to design and implement research, technical assistance, evaluations, tools and blended capacity-building initiatives in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean focused on impact investing and the SME space. Their organisation firmly believes in the MSME sector as key for economic and social growth, and that women’s empowerment and gender inclusion are intrinsic to this when unlocking women’s potential to drive growth at the individual, family and community levels in emerging economy contexts.
Value for Women develop close, collaborative, long-term partnerships to identify and test new solutions that drive the impact investment and SME sector forward in order to maximise impact for underserved individuals, and with gender and social inclusion at the core. We work on gender, entrepreneurship, investment and SME-growth, in various sectors including agriculture, finance, climate and energy.
Their efforts focus on practical, hands-on, implementable actions towards research, learning, design of products and services, and evaluation with a gender lens. Value for Women works with Their partners to clearly demonstrate the business case and the social impact value of their work. Value for Women seeks to combine existing expertise, experience, and knowledge of their partners for innovation; emphasising economic and social inclusion while addressing immediate needs as well as strategic, long-term interests of the stakeholders
their clients serve. Their team participates in key thought- leadership on gender lens investing and has acted in diverse advisory capacities for DFIs, donors, corporate foundations, INGOs, banks, SMEs/SGBs, etc. Their team operates out of Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe.
Check them out on www.v4w.org and @Valueforwomen
The main responsibilities:
Value for Women are a dynamic, changing organization that is highly collaborative. They pride ourselves on this structure and on their ability to adapt and continue to maintain relevance in the gender, SME and impact investing space. The following outlines the key responsibilities, and they seek someone who can grow and change along with them; lending their talent, insights, relationships and leadership to the work.
Management and delivery of a portion of Value for Women’s project portfolio (80% of total effort)
○ Manages and delivers projects and teams, to ensure VFW exceeds client/partner
○ Manage a team of consultants (2+) on a small portfolio of global projects (preferably
located in Africa or Asia or both)
○ Provide oversight, advisory and management to this portfolio and to other VFW
portfolios on topics such as gender and investing, SME-building, gender and business,
gender and climate or energy
○ Offers support to the consulting team carrying out research, training, advisory services
and the development of learning products
○ Collaborate and liaise with the management team and the business manager
Business Development (15% of total effort)
○ Support the development of long-term strategy toward the expansion of VFW models,
services and products
○ Proposal writing
○ Develop innovative ideas for testing (new products and services)
○ Represent VFW and ensure visibility in industry spaces (networks, conferences, etc
focused on gender lens investing, impact investing, SME entrepreneurship)
Communications for visibility, influencing and generating partnerships (5% of total effort)
○ Develop powerful materials to effectively communicate their work to a broad audience of partners and collaborators
What experience & qualifications they value for this role:
● A minimum of ten years of professional experience, five of which must be in a field related to consulting, international or economic development, impact investing, entrepreneurship, work with SMEs, finance and/or policy
● Demonstrated knowledge and practical expertise in gender, women’s economic empowerment, women’s entrepreneurship, SME ecosystems, markets, value chain, agriculture, sustainable energy and/or international development
● Excellent communications skills including effective writing skills (in English, with another language a major asset), people skills and relationship management
● Demonstrated expertise in the design and implementation of business development strategy and generating partnerships
● Management experience (people management, project, client relationships and strategy)
● Higher level education in Business Administration, International Development, Finance, Public Policy or related fields is desired
Additionally, their team is exceptional at:
● Thriving in a matrix-based organizational structure; operating internationally as a distributed team across the globe
● Working independently while focused on results AND collaboration
● Putting the principles of trust, equality of opportunities and transparency in practice
● Demonstrating alignment with Value for Women’s mission, vision and ways of working
● Speaking the diverse language of their multiple stakeholders across the globe
● Designing and delivering training activities, remote and in-person
● Learning, adapting, and demonstrating their excitement for contributing to the growth of a small and growing business with a social mission
● International and regional Travel (every few months) for several days at a time (global health situation permitting)